My vote would go to Bush

I said a certain Bush would win last year and I'm saying another Bush will win this year. Though I'm talking about two different subjects, presidency and Heisman, both men seem to create quite the stir around campus.

I have been rooting for Vince Young ahead of Reggie Bush for most of the year (mostly because I have a strong hatred for USC), but the last two USC games have changed my mind.

In just the last two games, I watched Bush dash between linemen, zip across the field, explode down the field, dive through the end zone and accumulate 554 yards rushing (not to mention the 513 all-purpose yards he accumulated two weeks ago against Fresno State).

Can anyone catch him? He is seriously slick and I have never watched a player move the way he does.

He has 3,046 rushing yards in his career (1,658 this year alone). He has also scored 41 touchdowns during his 35-game campaign and he is a five-way threat — rushing, receiving, kickoff returning, punt returning and passing. Although he has not completed a pass this year, 0-2, he did throw an impressive 52-yard touchdown pass last year.

So, my vote — if I had one — would go to Bush.

Don't get me wrong, Young is very talented. In his three-year campaign, he has rushed for 2,927 yards, amassed 48 receiving yards (2975 all-purpose yards), thrown for 5,773 yards and has scored 109 touchdowns.

Those numbers alone could have won him the Heisman over every candidate for the last five years.

Historically, a quarterback has taken the accolade the last five years. The last running back to win the award was Wisconsin's Ron Dayne in 1999.

The last football player from Texas to win the award was running back Ricky Williams in 1998, while the last players to win the award for USC were Matt Leinart in 2004 and Carson Palmer in 2002.

USC has dominated the award since its existence, claiming six players to the award. Texas has had two Heisman winners in its history.

I recently checked out the Web site, Voteforheisman.com (a site that allows you to cast the fan vote for Heisman) and it seems voters don't agree with my choice.

Young leads the online race with 138,079 votes. Bush sits is in a distant fifth with 26,407 votes.

Since the fan vote only makes up one vote of the 923 total votes that decide the Heisman winner, this is very minuscule.

The media makes up the majority of the vote, 870 votes, and former Heisman Trophy winners take the remaining 52 votes.

I have heard of eight media votes (mostly from Nashville, Tenn.) and seven of those votes are going to Bush, one for Young.

Local sports writer Andy Baggot is submitting Bush's name No. 1 on his Heisman ballot.

According to Baggot, "Bush is not just the best running back in the nation, he's the best all-around player on arguably the best team."

Former 1995 Heisman winner and Ohio State running back Eddie George's vote is going towards Bush. George told the Tennessean, "I give a slight edge — and I'm talking about a photo finish, a fingernail's difference — with Reggie Bush being out in front. I'm a huge Vince Young fan, but Reggie Bush's performance against Fresno State can't be ignored."

-If you would like to share your fake Heisman vote, send me an email at [email protected].