Johnson's squad takes to road for border battle series

[media-credit name=’RAY PFIFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]kletzien_rp_filtered416[/media-credit]The Wisconsin women's hockey team doesn't exactly have fond memories from its last trip to Minneapolis' Ridder Arena in last year's WCHA title game. At the time, Minnesota entered the contest favored as the top-ranked team in the nation with a glut of future Olympians and was on a quest for its second consecutive NCAA Championship, while Wisconsin was in search of its first WCHA title in school history.

Unfortunately for UW, despite a pair of goals from former UW captain Carla MacLeod in the final minute of regulation, the Badgers fell short of their bid for a WCHA title after an overtime goal by the Gophers' Krissy Wendell. Minnesota would eventually go on to win its second-straight NCAA championship.

That was eight-and-a-half months ago.

Now fast forward to this weekend's return to Ridder Arena. Gone are the Gophers formidable Olympic line, and an intimidating No. 1 ranking. Instead, it's the No. 3 Badgers (9-1-0, 7-1-0) that enter the contest with the higher ranking, the better record and a significant amount of momentum. Wisconsin enters this weekend's matchup with No. 4 Minnesota (9-3, 4-2) on a nation-leading nine-game win streak while the Golden Gophers are coming off of a weekend sweep of Brown.

But history is definitely in Minnesota's favor as the Golden Gophers have had the Badgers' number in the past, winning 23 of the last 29 meetings between the two squads. However, the Badgers aren't concerned with Minnesota's previous dominance over them.

"Their team has a different look to them," head coach Mark Johnson said. "In the first three years that I [coached] against them, they had a line that will be on our Olympic team this year. They were very talented — not only good hockey players, but world-class athletes. That's one of the reasons why [Minnesota] won back-to-back NCAA championships."

"That group isn't with them this year, so it's a different club," Johnson continued. "But it presents a different problem in that they're actually a team this year and they don't rely on two or three or four people. They play collectively as a group, they've got good players and they have a good goaltender. So it will be a very good series."

The Badgers certainly have much to be confident about. The Badgers lead the conference in goals scored with 46, and also has allowed the fewest goals in the WCHA with 15. Thus far this season, Wisconsin is averaging a lofty 4.6 goals per game, giving up just 1.5 goals per game. Throw out their opening loss to Minnesota-Duluth and those stats are even more impressive with the Badgers averaging 4.9 goals per game with just 1.1 goals allowed.

The powerful line of Sharon Cole, Sara Bauer and Jinelle Zaugg leads Wisconsin's offense. Bauer leads the conference in assists (14) and total points (22) while creating a multitude of opportunities for Cole and Zaugg.

Zaugg has gotten into a groove lately, scoring two goals in the victory over Minnesota State last Wednesday and taking the team lead in goals scored.

"Bauer and Cole having been playing together for almost three years," Zaugg said modestly of her recent scoring streak. "They work really well together, and they're both really great players. So I just try to fit in and be there for them. … I think the [most important thing] is just confidence — from our whole team and from our line."

Junior Bobbi-Jo Slusar, who features a cannon-like slapshot and is a major contributor on offense and on the powerplay, anchors the defense. With four goals and 12 assists, she is the team's second leading point producer.

The Golden Gophers' offense is led by sophomore forwards Erica McKenzie and Bobbi Ross. McKenzie has 13 goals and seven assists for 20 points and was named WCHA conference player of the week after scoring four goals on just five shots in Minnesota's first game last weekend. Ross has 10 goals and seven assists on the season.

Minnesota goalie Brittony Chartier, a freshman, has seen a lot of ice time this season. She has started 11 of 12 games this season, posting eight victories, while allowing a goals against average of 2.05 and recording a save percentage of .915.