Badgers not overlooking Mavericks

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Licari_am_416[/media-credit]If you asked which players were the best forwards in the WCHA over the past few years, there would probably be a variety of answers.

The list would probably include players like Minnesota-Duluth's Junior Lessard, Colorado College's Marty Sertich and Brett Sterling and North Dakota's Zach Parise, among others.

Notably missing from that list however, is Minnesota State junior David Backes. Yet, after a 37-point rookie year, he led the team with 19 goals, 24 assists, and 43 points last season.

"I think that everyone knows that he is one of the elite players in the league," UW junior defenseman Jeff Likens said. "I think people just don't talk about him as much because his team is never up at the top of the league."

"He's a good player — he's big, he's strong, he's got a big-time release," UW head coach Mike Eaves said. "He's a different type of player than a Sterling or a Sertich, but you better know when he's on the ice and what he can do."

Backes is on the move again early this year, tallying five goals and posting nine assists for the more offensive-minded Mavericks through their first 10 games. The No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers will have the task of stopping him in a rare Saturday/Sunday series at the Kohl Center this weekend.

"Everybody knows who he is and how dominant he is when he's out there on the ice," Likens said. "We're all aware of what he can do."

While his efforts have only translated to a 2-6-2 record, Minnesota State has picked up the pace over the past two weeks. The Mavericks are now unbeaten (2-0-2) in their last four WCHA contests, including a win and a tie against defending national champion Denver a week ago.

The Mavericks, who are sixth in the league on offense but have scored 3.5 goals per game during their unbeaten streak, will have their work cut out for them against the Badgers and their league-leading defense. But not if Backes has his way.

The Blaine, Minn., native has been a thorn in Wisconsin's side in his first two seasons, tallying five goals and one assist in six games against the Badgers.

"He's one of their key players — if they're going to be successful he has to be on the score sheet," Eaves said. "He's got an excellent chance to play at the next level."

But all of those points were tallied against UW former goalie Bernd Bruckler. This year he will have to tackle Brian Elliott, perhaps the hottest goaltender in the country.

The junior is second in the country with a 1.38 goals against average and .944 save percentage, backstopping a Badger defense which has allowed just 1.25 goals per game in league play.

"[Backes] has had some success against us, but we have a lot of guys who can put the puck in the net just like him," junior forward Jake Dowell said. "He's just one guy and we're going to focus on him, but overall [focus on] good defense. We have confidence in Brian Elliott to stop some shots."

For those still stuck thinking that Wisconsin plays a defense-first sort of style, its offense has been getting the job done just fine. The Badgers are averaging 3.62 goals per game in league play, second only to Minnesota.

Junior Robbie Earl, sophomore Joe Pavelski and freshman Jack Skille, who have combined for 15 goals thus far, pace the Wisconsin offense. With team captain Adam Burish out for Saturday night's game, it appears the three will skate on the same line.

Burish will not be in the lineup due to a disqualification penalty at the end of last Saturday's victory over Colorado College.

Riding an eight-game unbeaten streak including back-to-back successful weekends against North Dakota and Colorado College, Eaves and his staff have made sure their team is not overlooking the Mavericks.

"They will give themselves a chance to win because they work so darn hard," Eaves said. "Everything they do is based off of that."

The Badgers could be in trouble if they overlook Minnesota State and think ahead to their date with No. 1 Michigan next weekend.

"We have to make sure we come out and play our game," Likens said. "These guys are going to try and outwork us, and that's one of the ways they can beat us, so we just need to do what we need to do."

But Wisconsin appears to have its head on straight, and if it continues to play like it has in recent weeks, its success should continue at home this weekend.