Fantasy Fever 9

Well, the fantasy season is entering its final tilt. Yeah, it's scary to think about, but the playoffs for most leagues are just around the corner. It's getting to that point of the season where owners need to determine whether they have a shot at winning any money and finishing near the top of the league, or if they are destined to flounder in pathetic-ness for the remainder of the year. And with that admission of sub-mediocrity comes the long process of planning for next season. Owners in keeper leagues who find themselves in this position are forced to bid adieu to and jettison older players in favor of younger talent, sacrificing productivity in the present for potential in the future. So, with that in mind, here are some players downtrodden owners want to start harassing other owners for …

– Carson Palmer, QB Cincinnati Bengals

He's only going to get better, and the scary thing is he's already pretty darn good.

– Tatum Bell, RB Denver Broncos

Sure, Bell's sharing time with Mike Anderson right now, but there's no way Mike Shanahan will split time next season.

– Julius Jones, RB Dallas Cowboys

Yes, he's hurt right now, meaning you can probably get him for a lot cheaper bounty.

– Cadillac Williams, RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Has slowed down considerably lately, but, just like Jones, that just means the asking price will be a little lower.

– Steven Jackson, RB St. Louis Rams

If your team's marginal, giving up several good scorers to get a stud like Jackson would be forward thinking.

On the flip side, here are some players you may want to consider parting ways with …

– Priest Holmes, RB Kansas City Chiefs

The best fantasy player over the last three or so years, the Priest is now getting older and losing carries to Larry Johnson — another guy to consider trading for.

– Corey Dillon, RB New England Patriots

He's not getting any younger, and he's not getting any better.

– Fred Taylor, RB Jacksonville Jaguars

Injuries are always a concern, but he's coming off a huge week — the perfect time to make a deal, when others will overpay.

– Big-time tight ends: most keeper leagues only allow a relatively small number of keeps (three to four), so you're probably not going to bring back a tight end, regardless of how good he is. Use a Heath Miller to sweeten the pot in a potential deal.

Player of the Week

Tiki Barber, RB, New York Giants

24 carries, 206 yards and two touchdowns, one reception for five yards

Was there really a question? Yeah, Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith had big days, but come on … they were playing the Vikings. Barber led the way in an inspirational performance by a Giants team that is getting better every week.

Herald Smart Starts

QB Eli Manning, New York Giants

Yeah, kind of an obvious one. Eli didn't have a great game last week, but the Giants' offense is on fire.

RB William Green, Cleveland Browns

Hey, if you're desperate, Green should start now after Reuben Droughns' arrest.

RB Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers

Parker's slowed down from the torrid pace at which he began the year. But with Big Ben potentially out against the Packers, Parker should get plenty of carries.

WR Amani Toomer, New York Giants

See Manning reasoning. Plus, the 49ers are horrible against the pass.

WR Doug Gabriel, Oakland Raiders

Didn't catch a pass last week, but against a shoddy Chiefs pass defense, not a bad desperation start.

TE Jerramy Stevens, Seattle Seahawks

Caught the most balls of any Hawk last time out, and Hasselbeck should look his way again in Arizona.