Cole, Bauer carry UW against UND

Led by a series of offensive attacks, the Wisconsin women's hockey team swept the North Dakota Fighting Sioux in their conference series this weekend. The third-ranked Badgers improved their overall record to 6–1 overall and 4–1 in the WCHA.

Wisconsin's potent offense controlled both games, producing 11 goals. Saturday's game was a blowout, with the Badgers scoring eight goals while limiting the Fighting Sioux to just eight shots on goal. Wisconsin's unrelenting offense produced 53 shots on goal and controlled the puck for most of the 8–0 victory.

The points-producing duo of Sharon Cole and Sara Bauer started the scoring three and half minutes into the first period, with Cole setting up Bauer for a short-handed goal. While North Dakota's power play shifted lines, the two broke into the offensive zone unopposed, taking advantage of the Fighting Sioux's sloppy line change.

A single defender managed to catch Cole and Bauer, but was unable to break up the play. Bauer scored two goals and recorded one assist, while Cole recorded two assists in Saturday's contest.

Wisconsin freshman forward Erika Lawler, who has emerged as a real offensive threat in recent games, set up freshman Angie Keseley in the final minute of play in the first period. As the puck drifted down North Dakota's end of the ice, Lawler raced to catch the puck to prevent an icing penalty. Trailed by Keseley, Lawler fed the puck to the slot where Keseley snapped a wristshot for the final goal of the period.

The Badgers would score two even-strength goals in the second period thanks to forwards Jinelle Zaugg and Cyndy Kenyon. The third period was marred by 10 penalties, six of which were committed by North Dakota. With tensions flaring between the two teams, Cole and North Dakota freshman Melissa Jaques both went to the penalty box following an altercation.

"It was that point in the game where we got up by four, five or six goals," head coach Mark Johnson said. "Obviously, nobody likes to get beaten like that. I think [North Dakota] was getting kind of frustrated so the referees wanted to keep the game in check and under control. That's what happens when one team gets up quite a bit."

"That's going to happen in some games," defenseman Bobbi-Jo Slusar said, who finished the game with four assists. "It's how you react to it and I think we reacted in a positive manner."

The Badgers would take advantage of the frustrated and tired Fighting Sioux by scoring four goals in that period. Junior forward Heidi Kletzien would score her first goal of the season and Zaugg added her second goal of the game, both on the powerplay. Bauer and Keseley would score later, giving Zaugg, Bauer and Keseley two goals each.

Friday's game was quite similar. The Badgers won 3-2 in another display of offensive talent, but showed an inability to capitalize on a plethora of scoring chances. Wisconsin missed several open-net shots when North Dakota goalie Amber Hasbargen was out of position and hit the pipe several times as well.

The Badgers were not able to cement the win until freshman defenseman Alycia Matthews scored her first goal of the season on a powerplay, giving the Badgers a 3-2 lead with five minutes left in the third period.

Johnson credited Friday's struggle to a lack of preparation.

"I was a little disappointed with our preparation [on Friday]," Johnson said. "It was kids' day at the Kohl Center and there were a lot of distractions. The players also had to go to school so I don't think they were very focused. It certainly showed in our play."

"So to come back [on Saturday] and see how the players responded, I think they should be proud of themselves … I was very pleased with the effort from the start to finish."