Women's hockey team readies for North Dakota

WCHA competition continues for the Wisconsin women's hockey team this weekend, as the Badgers take on the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota in a two-game set at the Kohl Center.

Last season the Badgers took care of North Dakota with ease, winning all four games handily by a combined score of 26-5. North Dakota (2-2-0, 0-2-0 WCHA) is coming off a weekend sweep of Quinnipiac in their home opening series.

The real Fighting Sioux team has yet to reveal themselves in this young season as their team has lacked any form of consistency on either end of the ice. Offensively, UND is averaging 3.75 goals per game while the defense has surrendered a total of 12 goals on the year.

Wisconsin, currently ranked No. 3 in the country, is coming of an impressive 4-1 win against Minnesota State last weekend. The Badgers continue to play two-way hockey as both the offense and defense have been clicking on all cylinders. Head coach Mark Johnson is pleased with his team's effort to start the year and expects more of the same this weekend.

"It's been good at this point; I mean we've played very well this season. We're 4-1 at this time and I'm very happy with [their progress]", Johnson said. "I love what the younger kids are doing right now, but like any coach will tell you the object is to try to get better every game and we plan to [do] that this weekend."

The Wisconsin offense has pounded opposing defenses this season with a powerful offensive attack that shows no signs of letting up. Assistant captain Sara Bauer, who currently leads the team with 10 points, contributed to three of the four goals scored Friday night in Mankato, while team captain Sharon Cole netted two goals of her own and currently leads the team with five. The Badgers, who have taken advantage of opposing teams' defensive inadequacies all season, should be able to score goals against the unproven North Dakota defense.

Offensively, North Dakota has shown some signs of life lately, scoring 12 goals in its last two games while averaging nearly four goals per game. Freshman sensation Cami Wooster has already scored six goals on the year and leads a freshman class that has made substantial contributions this season.

The young Badger defense has been improving every week and has become a forceful unit allowing fewer than two goals per game. Bobbi Jo Slusar has emerged as the leader of the defense and leads all Wisconsin defenders with seven points.

"I think we're never totally happy where we're at, because there [is] always room for improvement. The defense really seems to be coming together each week and we've all really stepped up our game since the first series and I'm exciting to see how we continue to get better," Slusar said. "North Dakota is a hard-working team but as long we don't let them out-work us and we play our game we'll be fine."

Wisconsin goaltending has been huge this season. Both Meghan Horras and Christine Dufour have made significant contributions and have combined to post a goals-against average of 1.67.

"The goaltending has been very good," Slusar said. "We got two quality goaltenders back there who are fighting for a job and whenever we got one of them in there we have a chance to win."

One area where the Badgers will be looking for improvement this weekend is the power play. Slusar, Bauer and Zaugg highlight a talented unit that has created a plethora of chances this season, but the power play has notched only three goals on 29 chances. While those numbers are alarming, Coach Johnson remains optimistic.

"We were 0-7 on the power plays Friday night but we're getting the puck in well and we're creating chances, but the puck's not going in. And that's OK as long as you get those chances, eventually the puck will take a bounce here or there to get you some scoring opportunities," Johnson said.

The Badgers have been all business this year regardless of their opponent. Johnson has instilled a "treat every game the same" mentality this season and the team has bought into it.

"In any game, if you take things for granted it's not going to be good," Johnson said. "You've got to play hard, play consistent, regardless of your opponent and that's been the message since day one."