End of road draws near for Duerst’s quartet of senior captains

After years of practicing and competing together, the end is finally near for Wisconsin seniors Amy Vermeulen, Marisa Brown, Katy Lindenmuth and Jessica Ring.

Over the years, all four captains have had an enormous impact on their squad, both on and off the field.

"It's been pretty good being on the team with them because we are always there for each other on and off the field," junior Allison Preiss said. "They are all pretty good leaders and lead in different ways."

On the field, the seniors have led the team in statistics for the last four years.

Vermeulen was the team leader in goals during the 2001 and 2004 seasons. This year, the Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, native currently leads the team with seven goals. Not to be overshadowed, Lindenmuth led the team in points and assists during the 2003 season. She is currently second on the team in goals with six.

Brown led the 2003 squad in shots on goals with 23. Brown is currently second on the team in assists with six. Ring, a defender, also put up numbers on the offensive charts, leading the 2004 team with a shot percentage of 33.

"They are just amazing," goalkeeper Lynn Murray said. "I am just glad that I've gotten the opportunity to play on the same field as them. Watching them play, you just hope that one day you'll have the same amount of talent as these guys do and you can love what you do as much as they do."

Not only has each captain led in statistics; each has also helped lead the younger players on the team in their respective positions.

Vermeulen has had a huge impact on forward Taylor Walsh. Walsh was quick to point out how Vermeulen has influenced her game.

"Amy Vermeulen, in particular, has been a really big influence on me," the redshirt freshman said. "I know last year as a freshman, Amy was my hero, and everyone made fun of me for that. I just really admire her as a player and as a person. I think she is a great person overall. Everyone loves her. As a forward, she is the player that I would like to be."

Murray has been grateful for the defensive aid encompassed by Ring. Ring's aggressive defensive skills have helped Murray record 12 shutouts during the last two seasons.

"She is amazing to have in front of me," Murray said. "She is going to make you feel a lot more comfortable knowing that she is going to do her job makes it a lot easier for you to do your job. And I know that having that safety net in front of me gives me a lot more confidence."

Ring has also set a prime example for sophomore Ann Eshun both academically and athletically.

"She is a good leader," Eshun said. "She is constantly bringing people together. She also works very hard. I don't know how she does it, especially since she started law school this year, so she definitely is a role model for a lot of people on the team, being able to do this day in and day out."

In terms of work ethic, Walsh has been motivated by Brown and Lindenmuth. Both players have influenced Walsh to work harder in practice and to become a more vocal leader.

"Marissa (Brown) leads by example," Walsh explained. "Everyone looks up to her on the team because she is really skilled. We sort of look at her for all [to] work as hard as she does. Katy (Lindenmuth) also works hard and is very consistent every game and always has a good attitude. She always tries to get us pumped up before the games."

Head coach Dean Duerst was quick to point out the qualities that make these four captains extraordinary.

"Physically, they have a presence on the field, and each game they play is very consistent," Duerst said. "They have seen a lot of things happen and have been a part of a lot of great moments. All of them are very humble … and are role models for this team. All of them are playing their best soccer and they are peaking at the best time."

Probably the greatest asset that has endured for the four seniors is the bond they share as teammates and as friends.

"It's been fun. It's been amazing. I think over the years, all four of us have gotten closer and it's just been really fun," Vermeulen said.

"It's been great," Ring added along with what she will miss next year. "I think one of the things you miss the most is the people you have played with and the times that you have had on and off of the field."

Being a captain and a leader for a young team has been a difficult task for the foursome. The Badgers have also had a fairly rough season, losing seven games by one goal, with three of the losses coming

in overtime. Despite the hardships, the captains have used their misfortunes to bring themselves closer together.

"It's been tough. We have a lot of freshmen — 12 newcomers on the team, and our season has been up and down," Lindenmuth said. "At times it has been rough, but since there are four of us, it's been easy for us to stick together and use our different strengths and weaknesses together."

"I think it has also helped to have an anchor in every place," Brown said. "We are friends on and off the field."