Wisconsin ends 7-game skid, topples rival Marquette

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]msoccer_dm_416[/media-credit]With the stretch that they had been on, head coach Jeff Rohrman and the UW men's soccer team probably would have taken the 1-0 win. But thanks to two more late goals from sophomore Christopher Ede, the Badgers got off the snide in a big way with a 3-0 victory over Marquette Wednesday night.

Coming off a 5-2 loss at the hands of No. 5 Indiana — which stretched its losing streak to seven games — the Badgers were looking to refocus and turn things around. Thanks to a few good days of practice, they were able to do just that.

"I thought it was a real collective effort tonight," Rohrman said. "We really played well defensively down the stretch when we needed to."

Wisconsin took the lead early in the first half thanks to a penalty kick. Freshman Victor Diaz was dragged down inside the box in the 14th minute.

The Spaniard got the best of Marquette keeper Steven Grow, placing the spot kick just left of center as the keeper dove hard to the right.

For the majority of the match, it looked like that might have been the only goal.

The remainder of the first half was fairly slow and the Badgers carried the lead well into the much more physical second half.

But with less than 20 minutes remaining in the contest, the Golden Eagles turned the attack up a notch.

Marquette very nearly tied the game in the 73rd minute when sophomore goalie Mike Hood couldn't control the ball and the Golden Eagles put a shot on.

However, defender Zack Lambo was in the right place at the right time to head the ball away.

"[Lambo] did exactly what he was supposed to do," team captain Aaron Hohlbein said. "He played really well tonight."

Marquette midfielder Pat Knoelke would get his chance just eight minutes later. Looking at a wide-open upper-right corner of the net, the junior fired the ball high and Wisconsin retained the lead.

But even with the Marquette attack turned up, it was the Badgers who would add to their lead later in the 81st minute. Ede got his head on a good-looking cross from midfielder B.J. Goodman.

The reserve forward was not done there, however. He got his second goal of the game — and second of the season — when the Badgers found themselves with a three-on-two breakaway.

The advantage quickly turned to a four-on-two, but rather than laying the ball off, Ede pulled it back and fired it into the upper-left corner.

"I had a couple good practices and I've been playing well of late, and I just carried it over into the game," Ede said. "If you ask the guys, I've had four or five good chances [this year], but the goalies have made saves and just been lucky. I knew I was going to break out one of these games."

Rohrman was pleased with his team's attack, which now has five goals in the last two games, after a stretch where the team scored one goal in five games.

"I'm pretty pleased with the offensive output," Rohrman said. "At the same time, I think we brought enough energy on the defensive side to shut out anything they were going to throw at us."

Hood got his first clean sheet in just his second career start, as Rohrman opted to give Jake Settle the night off.

"It was just a decision to give Jake a little bit of a chance to sit back and not put so much pressure on himself," Rohrman said. "I think maybe he's been pressured a little bit knowing that we haven't done as much on the offensive side."

With the monkey off its back and a big goal in mind — going undefeated down the stretch — Wisconsin looks to carry its momentum back into Big Ten action when it hits the road for a match with Michigan Sunday afternoon.

"We talked after the IU game, saying, 'We're winning out,'" Hohlbein said. "We knew we had to come out here tonight and get a win, and then this starts us off on where we want to go."