UW treks to East Lansing

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]LindenmuthKatie_dm_416[/media-credit]After losing a pair of heartbreaking matches in overtime last week, the Wisconsin women's soccer team will have a chance to redeem itself this weekend. The Badgers (5-5-2) will travel to Michigan Friday to compete against Michigan State (6-3-3) and the University of Michigan (5-4-2).

"It's going to be a big weekend for us," assistant coach Nick Carlin-Voigt said. "We are looking to get right back into the race in the Big Ten. We play Michigan State first then Michigan, so our approach right now is to take one game at a time. We have had some bad bounces, some things not go our way, but the team started off 0-3-1 last year, and there is no reason we can't have the same success as last year."

After 12 games, Wisconsin has been plagued by overtime losses, going 1-4-2 in extended play and losing its last three games in extra time. Giving up corner kicks and losing momentum in the second half are two factors that Carlin-Voigt said have helped send the Badgers into overtime. Since last weekend's double loss, the Badgers have been trying to improve on corner kick scenarios and goal-scoring opportunities.

"We have been working on defending corner kicks better," Carlin-Voigt said. "I think that we are going to have to learn to get the ball out when it is served in the box. I think being smarter in the back third and taking an initiative to clear the ball out will also help us."

This weekend will be the perfect opportunity for the Badgers to pick up momentum. UW will first face Michigan State Friday night. This season, the Spartans have just one more win than the Badgers.

Michigan State has won just two contests in 21 tries against Wisconsin. Also, UW has never lost an away match to the Spartans.

Defender Kelly Hannon leads Michigan State. The former Big Ten defensive player of the week should offer UW offensive forwards Amy Vermeulen, Allison Priess and Kara Kabellis quite a challenge.

With Hannon controlling the backfield, Carlin-Voigt expects the front line to be more physical and explosive against the Spartans.

"I think we will play a little more of an attacking style this weekend to try and get some goals," Carlin-Voigt explained. "It's going to be a matter of us defending. Last year, we played Michigan State and it was a must-win game, which we won 1-0, so it's going to be important that we shut them out and finish our chances when they are given to us."

So far this season, the Badgers have used a duo of great goalkeepers in Lynn Murray and Stefani Szczechowski, who have both shown great prominence and are expected to see a lot of action this weekend.

"We are really lucky to have two great goalkeepers that the team has confidence in," Carlin-Voigt said. "So, whoever gets the call will be ready. Stef played well last weekend and Lynn is a very capable goalkeeper. So, it's a tough decision but we are confident in whoever we decide to put between the pipes."

The Badgers will end their weekend road trip Sunday against Michigan. The Wolverines, like UW, are coming off two losses last weekend, to Purdue and Indiana.

Sophomore Melissa Dobbyn leads the Wolverines. The forward has proved to be a lethal threat against Big Ten schools, scoring two goals and putting six shots on goal against Ohio State.

If the Badgers can find a way to control Dobbyn, Carlin-Voigt thinks the team might be able to return home with two wins.

"The team is really unified right now and they know it's just a matter of time before we start to see more victories," he said.