Sutton continuing Northwestern’s strong rushing legacy

Northwestern tailback Tyrell Sutton wasn't sure he was going to play this season. Sure he was last year's Mr. Football in Ohio, and gained nearly 9,500 yards during his high school career, but finding time on the field was far from a guarantee for the Akron, Ohio native.

The Wildcats were returning senior Terrell Jordan and appeared to have a capable backup in Brandon Roberson. While neither saw significant action last year, the coaching staff was confident in their abilities. But things never seem to go to plan. Jordan went down in fall camp and Roberson went down early in Northwestern's opener, presenting Sutton with the opportunity carry the load.

"I didn't know what to expect this year," Sutton admitted. "I thought I might have a shot, but I didn't know. [But] it's nice to be on the field."

Looking to replace last year's starter Noah Herron, who gained 1,381 yards in his lone season as a starter, Sutton seized the opportunity, gaining 104 yards in his first game as a freshman. In doing so, he became the first Wildcat freshman to accomplish the feat in school history.

But the freshman wasn't finished. In his second contest, he set a freshman record by rushing for 214 yards and finding paydirt four times against Northern Illinois. In just four games this season, Sutton has already amassed 528 yards, ranks fourth in the nation with a 132 yard-per-game average and third in the nation in scoring, averaging 12 points per game.

Though it's early in Sutton's career, the young back is already earning comparisons to some of the Big Ten's best, both because of his hard-running style and his game-breaking speed and short stature (5-foot-9, 190 lbs.).

"Well, he reminds me of an Anthony (Davis)-type back, very quick," Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez said. "He's a short guy, short and stocky, very quick (and) gets north and south."

The Wildcat tailback is also part of a youth movement of sorts for head coach Randy Walker's squad. Northwestern could enter its contest with Wisconsin starting as many as four freshman, with several others garnering playing time.

"It's nice to have those guys around," said Sutton. "I think we have 12 freshmen playing this year and it's like a family, we all help each other out."

It was that sense of closeness that helped Sutton decide on attending school in Evanston, Ill. The freshman also noted his desire to attend a university with a prestigious academic reputation as well as top-notch athletic programs as other reasons for his decision to become a Wildcat.

"They just made me feel at home," Sutton said, noting that no school from his home state was ever in the equation. "It was the perfect match of academics and athletics. It's as close to the Ivy League as you can get and it's in the Big Ten, so it was just the perfect fit for me."

While it's still early, Sutton appears poised to be the next in Northwestern's long line of standout tailbacks. But while the results are similar, Sutton's pedigree is far from similar to the Wildcat's last three 1,000-yard rushers.

"Jason Wright, he wasn't a slow guy, same with Damien Anderson and Noah Herron, but I think that I'm a little faster than those guys were, but they were all great backs," Sutton said.

Sutton obviously has made his case to be Northwestern's featured back, but with Roberson returning to full strength and Jordan returning to practice this week, the freshman isn't holding his breath that the job will remain his.

"You know I really can't say, I could get hurt or something could happen, so you never know," Sutton said. "It's the coaches decision, but I hope to keep the spot if I can."