Arizona calls for re-Rack

Most of you probably didn't see last week's greatest football game.

No, I'm not talking about the Eagles comeback, the Patriots first home loss in what seems like forever, or either of the games featuring one of the Manning brothers.

I'm talking about the San Francisco 49ers and the Arizona Cardinals.

Stop laughing at me.

Seriously, quit it. Your professor is getting irritated. In all honesty, you missed a great game if you chose not to watch it, though I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you should've made time to see it.

After all, it was the 49ers and the Cardinals, it was played in Mexico and it was a Sunday night game broadcast by the goofball crew on ESPN.

In fact, there wasn't a reason for you to watch it all. I only saw it because it was the only game my schedule would allow me to see all weekend, and because I had picked up a kicker — the name will become quite clear in a few paragraphs — in my fantasy league and needed a comeback victory in the Sunday night game.

Luckily for you, I saw it and I can fill you in on what you missed, since it was one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen.

Yes, Larry Fitzgerald got to show off his talent. Yes, Anquan Boldin also had a touchdown. Even Josh McCown had a career day with almost 400 passing yards and you'd think he was the man in the 31-14 defeat of the Niners. But look farther down the stat sheet, because I've got one name for you.

Neil Rackers.

With San Francisco turning the ball over every eight seconds and Arizona's usual incapacity to score a touchdown, this was the first time I had ever seen a kicker make the entire game exciting.

Obviously a kicker can make a game thrilling by kicking a clutch field goal with no time left on the clock, going for the victory, but Neil Rackers made the entire 60 minutes fun to watch.

The 49ers put up all 14 of their points quickly in the opening quarter thanks to two fumble recoveries for touchdowns, but from then on it was the Rackers Show.

It was also the beginning of the story of the greatest fantasy league free agent pickup in the modern era.

The numbers are astounding. The Cardinals went on to score 31 unanswered points, with Rackers responsible for the majority. In fact, Rackers wound up outscoring San Francisco's entire team 19-14.

How did he do it? Six field goals and one extra point. He booted field goals of 40, 45, 48, 23, 43 and 24 yards in the final three quarters, falling just one kick shy of tying the NFL record for most field goals in a game.

He did, however, accomplish a new Arizona record of 16 straight field goals made and a new NFL record, boasting a 16-for-16 performance through just four games this season.

But the numbers don't tell the entire story.

It was just funny to watch the Cardinals' offense flounder and Rackers knock in a field goal. Another part of the entertainment came in waiting to see just how far the former University of Illinois kicker would kick the ball on the ensuing kickoff following his three-pointers.

Now, I remember seeing John Hall do this for the Badgers when I was a kid, but I don't remember seeing it in recent memory until Sunday night.

I would not change the channel during commercials for fear that I would forget to change it back in time and miss the kickoff.

On one kickoff he landed the ball on the crossbar as it whirled through the uprights and I ran to find my friend Ben so that he could share in the excitement.

We never thought our eyes would be glued to the screen over the final five minutes of a rather meaningless game which was clearly over, but we just had to see if Neil would break the record.

When San Fran quarterback Alex Smith was sacked on fourth-and-seven, we thought our dream would become a reality. But the Cardinals' running game started working.

They picked up two first downs and the 49ers were forced to use all of their timeouts. Ben and I were relegated to hoping for a miracle.

At one point when the Cardinals had a third-and-six situation with just 35 seconds left, he even stated, "Maybe somebody on the Cardinals will get injured and they will have to call a timeout."

No such luck. The Cardinals ran the clock out and our hopes and dreams were crushed.

Well, not all of them I suppose. We still watched a game that everyone else in the country had scoffed at — and it had actually been fun.

Rackers' ridiculous amount of fantasy points gave me a come-from-behind victory in my fantasy league — and not just any old win … a win over an Ohio State grad. It just doesn't get much sweeter than that.