Special teams stepping up for Badgers

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]mehlaff_dm_416[/media-credit]Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez said it himself — Wisconsin has had some tremendous special teams performers and performances over the years.

From kickers like John Hall, Vitaly Pisetsky and Kevin Stemke, who won the inaugural Ray Guy Award for the nation's best punter, to kick returners including Nick Davis and Jim Leonhard, the Badgers' special teams has historically been solid in the Alvarez era.

Yet when comparing this year's group to the legacy set by their predecessors, Alvarez believes this group is comparable to the best he's coached.

"We've had some tremendous performances from special teams [this season]," Alvarez said. "I don't know how it could be any better."

Of course, Alvarez went on to list some of the areas the squad still needed to improve upon, such is to be expected. Yet considering the lack of confidence Alvarez had in portions of his special teams squad at the beginning of the season, Monday's praise is proof of the squad's solid turnaround.

One position, specifically, that brought the ire of UW's coach was the place kicker. Alvarez said on numerous occasions following spring practice that the place kicker job would be open entering fall camp, despite the fact Wisconsin possessed the previous year's top kicking recruit in sophomore Taylor Mehlaff.

Mehlaff won that contest, and Saturday went a long way to regaining his coach's confidence with his three field goal day against Michigan. The sophomore made kicks of 43-, 35- and 27-yards as well as booting three kickoffs into the end zone.

"He needed a day where he had to make kicks," Alvarez said of Mehlaff. "I think that's one of the positions where confidence is so important. When you have confidence and you're in a rhythm then you feel good about going out there and I feel good about sending him out there."

"The more reps you get, you get into a better rhythm," Mehlaff said. "I get more confidence going out there and every week I'm feeling more confident going out onto the field and whether it's kickoffs or field goals."

Wisconsin also has been enjoying the steady play of their punter, sophomore Ken DeBauche. Last year's UW special teams player of the year, DeBauche has continued his impressive play this season, averaging 46.8 yards per kick while dropping seven of his 16 punts inside the 20-yard line.

DeBauche's skill has been especially evident with his directional kicking. DeBauche helped hold Michigan's one-man highlight, Steve Breaston, in check with his ability to place the ball along the sidelines.

"Just the way Kenny (DeBauche) has been punting, he is so positive. He has such a feel now as for pooch punts and now he's becoming more and more confident directional kicking," Alvarez said. "I've been very pleased."

Beckum continues at end: With depth along the defensive line still suspect following the injury to sophomore Jamal Cooper, the Badgers' coaching staff will continue to work with freshman Travis Beckum at the defensive end position.

Beckum, considered by many to be the prize recruit of Wisconsin's 2005 freshman class, was listed as the No. 1 defensive end prospect in the nation according to Scout.com last season. However, upon entering fall camp the coaching staff decided to play the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Beckum at sam linebacker, his position in high school.

While Beckum's speed would prove a valuable asset for Wisconsin's pass rush, Alvarez maintains the Oak Creek, Wis., native will not be used only in passing situations.

"We didn't move him there just for passing situations," Alvarez said. "If you watched the game Saturday closely you saw him in on goal-line situations. So, no, it's a permanent move."

Stellmacher OK: Junior strong safety Joe Stellmacher should be ready to play this weekend following his injury Saturday night. Stellmacher suffered a stinger in the third quarter against Michigan, but Alvarez said all indications point to Stellmacher heading back to practice about midweek.

Stellmacher's career at UW has been marred by injuries, as the junior missed much of his freshman campaign with a broken leg.