Packers in early turmoil

I am just going to come out and say it: I hate the Green Bay Packers. Every Sunday, I strut my excessive amount of Tennessee Titans jerseys around campus and receive nothing but evil stares in my direction. People look confused that a loyal fan would dare attempt to wear another NFL team's jersey in public.

The only way to be accepted on campus come game day is to be wearing green and gold (my two least favorite colors).

I'll even cheer for the Bears or Lions if they have a chance to beat the Packers.

And why should I like the Pack? Brett Favre? Please, the only good quarterback to come out of Mississippi is Steve McNair.

I have complained about the Packers for years and it has brought me nowhere. All it has brought me is a firm reminder of the Titans' losing record.

Like the Green Bay faithful that surround me, I have become accustomed to watching Green Bay triumph over its competition. And having been a student living in Madison for almost five years, I have learned to respect the loyalty and enthusiasm expressed by the Packer believers.

With that said, I am appalled with the 0-3 start. My time in Wisconsin has brought higher expectations for the Packers. Since 1990, only three of 75 teams who have lost their first three games have made the playoffs.

So what's up Green Bay? Even Tennessee has won a game.

The Badgers broke an 11-year losing streak against Michigan this Saturday and the Buccaneers managed to break a 16-year losing streak against the Packers. I'm glad at least one Wisconsin team was able to march victoriously off the field this past weekend.

To make matters worse for the Packers, their signal-caller has told the Associated Press that his team will not be in a rebuilding mode.

When the AP asked Favre if this year was considered a rebuilding year, Favre responded, "It's not up to me. I don't know when that time comes. I don't know if I ever really believed in rebuilding. The game's too precious to waste a season or waste a game because you're rebuilding … I think we are doing our best to try to win ballgames … When I start thinking about rebuilding that means it's time for Brett Favre to go home. And, I'm not ready to do that just yet."

Though Favre may not be ready to hang up the towel, words of retirement have loomed in his presence for the past three seasons. After all, he is set to celebrate his 36th birthday before the start of game five.

In a recent interview conducted by the NFL, Favre expressed his feelings on the subject of retirement.

"I find each year more and more difficult to commit totally to my job. Because as you get older, you have kids and priorities change and your whole life is not devoted to football," Favre said. "I think in every veteran's career, there's a time when you think [football] is all there is. [And] when you add in the off-field adversity that I've had to go through, my wife has had to go through, it makes it much more difficult.

"During times like this, I think about it," Favre continued. "But it seems like every time something happens, people want to jump on the retirement bandwagon. And the more people ask me, the more I want to stick around just to stick it to 'em. But it will not."

To make matters worse for Favre, he will be without his leading receiver, Javon Walker, for the remainder of the season.

Walker made the Pro Bowl last season after catching 89 passes for 1, 382 yards and 12 touchdowns. The talented wideout also made Green Bay headlines during the preseason when he threatened to not to play this season if the remaining two years of his contract were not negotiated.

Though three games have passed, the Packers still have a chance to make it to the playoffs. After all, both the Titans and the Packers have made the playoffs after a 1-4 start.

The Packers will next play the inconsistent Carolina Panthers in Carolina Monday night, and though I will not be wearing green and gold, I will be secretly watching the game on ESPN's Game Cast. After all, a Packer win will make the playoff race that much more exciting.