‘Smooth’ Ortega providing defferent style for Badgers

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald Photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]ortega1_dm_416[/media-credit]Crafty. Clever. Cheeky. There are many adjectives that describe the playing style of Wisconsin midfielder Erik Ortega.

"I would describe it as 'smooth,'" junior captain Aaron Hohlbein said.

Every match, Ortega, a 5-foot-9, 155-pound sophomore from Western Springs, Ill., lends an excited and charged energy to the midfield of the 4-2-0 Wisconsin men's soccer squad.

"I mean, he really scoots around out there," Hohlbein added. "He's quick, he's strong on the ball and he can hit a good shot — he's just an overall solid player."

When asked about his playing style, Ortega says he tries to mirror Manchester United and Portuguese international winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

"I try to model myself after [Ronaldo]," Ortega said. "He plays outside, and I've been out wide for Wisconsin freshman and sophomore years. I'm crafty like him, I try to sneak around and see if I can get through balls."

Before arriving at Wisconsin, Ortega steadily assembled an impressive resume — and simultaneously wore out his visa — while playing with the Chicago Magic club team. With the Magic, Ortega played at an extensive number of venues internationally, including Brazil, Japan, Mexico, France, Germany, England, Spain and Holland.

"It was great," Ortega said of the experience. "At, like, 14-years-old we went to France and we were giving out autographs … it's a whole other world over there — it's like football is here."

In addition to his success with the Magic, Ortega also played five years on the Olympic Development Program (ODP) state team, five years on the ODP regional team and one year on the ODP national team.

Wisconsin head coach Jeff Rohrman believes Ortega's travel experience helped him immensely in adapting to the college game.

"Certainly those experiences have helped him since day one as far as coming in and not really even being a freshman, per se, in that first year," Rohrman said. "He came in with the maturity and experience of a seasoned player, so those experiences do help."

Ortega's frequent travel habits diversified the winger's playing style and produced the flair that he is now known for. His journeys also enable him to share with his teammates all of the different styles of play and various strategies he encountered.

"[His travel experience] contributes a lot," Hohlbein said. "I mean, he has a lot of experience obviously overseas, and here in the United States, too. It brings a different part to the team — knowing different styles of play."

In last Sunday's 1-0 victory over Butler University, Ortega displayed his panache by nodding home the game-winning goal in the 84th minute of play. After redshirt freshman Victor Diaz was sent off late in the second half, the reduced Badger squad fought back and salvaged a late goal off a cross from sophomore Nick Caronna. Describing the goal, Ortega can only vaguely recall details of his clinical finishing.

"We put some things together," Ortega said. "[Nick] Caronna got the ball out wide and I kind of slipped my defender … after that, it's kind of a blur. I got up and the ball was in the goal — it was like pandemonium with the whole bench and everything, it was a great feeling."

In addition to his game-winner against Butler, Ortega has also recorded an assist this season, and has started in all six of Wisconsin's matches. Rohrman credits Ortega's consistency to his overall physique.

"He's extremely athletic and he's extremely fit," Rohrman said. "When we do our testing, he's clearly in the top two or three in just about everything. Running with the ball, he's extremely quick, extremely fast and can do some things off the dribble that few others can. He also has the ability to finish well."

When comparing his international trips with the Wisconsin road trips, Ortega confesses there isn't much difference between the two. He claims the trips are more about team unity and bonding rather than miles.

"[The trips] are about the same, it's all about comradery," Ortega said. "You get to know the guys a lot better and it's definitely a good time."