Perfect time for Michigan

Gosh, does Kyle Orton ever get ornery. After giving him a bit of a ribbing last week, Orton sure showed me, putting together a solid week. But, settle down. Picking up Orton is still ill advised. Remember, even Vince Evans had a couple decent showings for the Bears. Pardon me for asking, but what in the name of Phillipi Sparks happened to Daunte Culpepper? Whatever, I have to believe that man is too good of a player to let his shoddy play continue. But, on a more positive note, STEVE HEIDEN! Someone needs to tell that man he is not in fact Superman. And by that I mean that Heiden is not at all weakened by kryptonite. Hate to say it, but I told y'all so, on that one. But, enough of that. Strap yourself in, because here is the second edition of fantasy fever.

Player of the Week

Donovan McNabb, QB, Philadelphia Eagles

23-of-29, 342 yards, 5TDs

Well, it appears that after their week one miracle, the 49ers are finally realizing that they are pretty bad. If they don't, they need only watch the game film to see McNabb tearing their defense apart in a 42-3 beat down. Things look real bright for McNabb regardless of his lingering injuries and ongoing catfight with Terrell Owens. Side note: how far down does Frisco need to be to put in Alex Smith under center for more than one series? Seriously.

Mailbag

Dear Fantasy Fever,

What can I say? I started the year out looking great at running back,

with Curtis Martin and Kevin Jones as my keepers, and in a later round

picking up the surprising Thomas Jones. However, Martin and K. Jones

(especially K. Jones) have been flops in the first two games. What

should I do? Trade one (or both) while their stock is still high or

hold on and maybe take a few more hits in the loss column and wait

until these two backs pull it together? And what about Thomas Jones?

How long until Kyle Orton loses his Roethlisberger-like magic and

the Bears decide to put in Cedric?

Help me. I have a FEVER of 102, and the only cure isn't cowbell.

Loser on Lathrop

Dear Loser on Lathrop,

Depending on what you can get in return, I would definitely think about moving either, or both, if you can get something useful in return. For as big of a fan as I am of Kevin Jones, his situation really scares me. Joey Harrington is looking like the same hopeless quarterback, and teams may start loading up in the box on Jones. Martin will give you a solid year, but is not the game breaker he once was (about 20 years ago). Now, make sure not to leave your cupboard completely bare at running back if you make a trade or over-rely on Thomas Jones. I'm a big fan, but Orton still has done nothing to show he is not the second coming of Dave Brown. Plus, Benson will be getting the ball sooner rather than later in the season on the premise that losing teams don't keep top draft picks on the bench for long. Bottom line: Make sure to get a quality back in a deal and help at another position. But don't panic too much. It's still early in the year; so only make a trade if you would have at the beginning of the season.

Smart Starts

QB Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals

After seeing his performance last week against the Vikings, Palmer gives no reason why he shouldn't be in your starting lineup. Right now this guy is playing like one of the top-10 signal-callers in the league.

RB Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

If you don't have him already, get this rookie in your lineup. Any offensive player with measurable talent against the Green Bay defense is a good play.

RB Willis McGahee, Buffalo Bills

McGahee had a rough go of it last week against Tampa Bay. But after seeing what Shaun Alexander did to the Falcons' defense (144 yards and 1 TD), McGahee looks like a good bet to bounce back.

WR Drew Bennett, Tennessee Titans

The Rams' pass defense has been less than stellar, allowing Kurt Warner to pass for over 300 yards last week. Bennett is due for a breakout week, and this could be it.

WR Donald Driver, Green Bay Packers

Does this sound familiar? Green Bay gets behind and has to pass the ball. It should, because it's happened in the first two weeks and the trend shows no signs of slowing down.

WR Samie Parker, Kansas City Chiefs

Dark horse pick of the week. Parker gives Kansas City a threat on the outside to complement Tony Gonzalez. Sorry Eddie Kennison, you're not wanted.

TE Alex Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Smith is playing Green Bay. That's all you need to know. Until the Pack stops an opposing tight end, start anyone and everyone. Hell, Anthony Becht could score a couple times at Lambeau.