Badgers return home for Big Toe Invitational

There is nothing more exciting in college sports than a classic battle between two in-state rivals. Usually the larger school winds up with the victory, but the stage is still set for great competition. This weekend the No. 15 Wisconsin women's soccer team (4-1-1) will return home to host UW-Milwaukee (2-2-2) and Brigham Young University (6-0) in the Big Toe Invitational.

"We are looking forward to being at home again," Wisconsin head coach Dean Duerst said. "We have not played a home night game, so I hope there is a great electric atmosphere. I'm hoping we will get a lot of students out, which would be great."

The Badgers will play BYU Friday night, before taking on the Panthers Saturday. The Cougars enter the Big Toe Invite undefeated. They are coming off of an exciting Monday night game, where they upset No. 22 Texas 1-0. It was their first victory against a ranked opponent since fall 2003.

"[BYU] is a team that you need to respect with their record," Duerst said. "You need to respect everyone. They have been getting the job done. They have only allowed one goal. This is a team that has obviously put it together early in the season. It will be a great match, which is what we are here for. We are looking for a challenge; it is what makes us a better team."

This will be the first meeting between the Cougars and Badgers. So far this season, the Cougars have shown great dominance in the beginning of their games, a task the Badgers have yet to accomplish.

"We want to come out and really set a tone for the match," sophomore Taylor Walsh said. "I think so far this season we have not played to our potential as far as connecting. So, this weekend, hopefully, we will be able to bring it all together for a big win."

Sophomore goalkeeper Lynn Murray and the Badger defense will be challenged against leading Cougar forwards Jessica Aquino and Jamie Beck. Beck leads the BYU offense with 11 points and Aquino is second with eight. Beck also leads the Cougars with 22 shots, including 11 on goal. The two forwards have four goals apiece.

The Badgers will have one last chance to continue their non-conference win streak Saturday against UWM.

The Badgers and Panthers have faced each other 21 times in the past, with the Badgers getting the best in 16 matchups. The traditional rivalries between the two in-state schools have become a large focus for the Badgers' season.

"As always it is always big to play an in-state school like [UW-M]," Walsh said. "Every year one of our goals is to win the whole state. So far, Milwaukee has had a really good season."

"There is a lot of pride on the line in a game like this," Duerst added. "It has always been our goal at the beginning of the year to win the in-state title. Milwaukee is off to a very good start. They are always a very organized program. Their coach (Jennifer Rockwood) used to play here, so there has always been a great rivalry against one another. Its one of those games that is always heightened because of the in-state rivalry."

The Badgers are hoping for a big turnout against both schools. It's a rare occasion when the Badgers get to host a night game, and both games will be played at 7 p.m. at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

This weekend will be the last chance for the Badgers to prepare for Big Ten play. The cardinal and white open their Big Ten season next week on the road against Iowa and Illinois.

"This weekend is like a Big Ten weekend," Duerst said. "Both teams are solid. It should prepare us for Big Ten play."