Relief for New Orleans

Sunday Sept. 11, New Orleans Saints fans were supposed to watch the Saints' first regular season game in their living rooms, or at a sports bar with their friends. The smell of barbequing and tailgating was supposed to fill the humid air. Saints faithful were supposed to parade their Joe Horn and Aaron Brooks jerseys around the French Quarter. Cars were supposed to be decorated with Saints magnets and flags.

New Orleans was supposed to come alive on Sunday. Instead, the historical city is still lying underwater. Most New Orleans residents and Saints faithful have fled the city. Families are without their pets, some are missing loved ones and many are in Texas crammed in a shelter with up to 10,000 strangers.

The Saints players have also been affected. They too have been separated from the city they call home. They are also separated from their families, friends and homes.

A week prior to Hurricane Katrina, the Saints acted on an intuition and quickly relocated camp to the San Francisco Bay Area, where they were scheduled to play the Oakland Raiders. Players, coaches and Saints personnel watched in horror as Katrina ripped apart their Crescent City. Fear for family and friends overwhelmed the team. They were 2,000 miles away and helpless.

Still reeling from the tragedy, players initially did not want to play their final preseason game. But after a team discussion, players and coaches decided to play the game with different intentions in mind. From now on, the Saints would dedicate each game to the victims of Katrina. The game went on as scheduled and despite the new team attitude, the Raiders defeated New Orleans 13-6.

"It's happened like that for years, and it's never stopped, regardless," Saints wide receiver Joe Horn said in a San Francisco Chronicle interview. "In this business, we have to play the football game. In this business, that's the way it goes. If your family's OK, the game must go on, and that's the way it is."

And the show would go on.

Without their city, without their home and without home-team advantage, the Saints decided to continue 2005 season play. Up first were the Carolina Panthers.

Playing for the victims of Katrina, the Saints opened Sunday's game with a vengeance.

They took control from opening kickoff, running Deuce McAllister eight times for 25 yards, while quarterback Aaron Brooks completed all seven of his passes for 55 yards. The Saints found themselves at the Panthers' four, which set up McAllister for a four-yard touchdown run.

The Saints were on the board first. A sign of relief quickly dispersed throughout the Saints sidelines. Fans watching from shelters and their new homes finally had a reason for celebration. But the game was not over yet.

Carolina quickly tied the game the first time they received the ball. The Panthers drove the ball 83 yards on nine plays. Panther quarterback Jake Delhomme connected with receiver Steve Smith on a 33-yard touchdown pass with 37 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

New Orleans responded with 4:37 to go in the second quarter, thanks to a two-yard touchdown run by McAllister, his second touchdown of the game.

Following a series of turnovers, the Saints were able to extend their lead following halftime. John Carney kicked a 29-yard field goal with 4:31 remaining in the third quarter as New Orleans extended their lead to 10.

Late in the third, Panthers running back Stephen Davis ran in for the score to bring the game within three points.

Carney would return once again for his second field goal of the day, a 48-yarder. The Saints were back on top 20-14.

Due to a series of penalties on their next possession, Carolina was forced to bring out their kicking team. John Kasay responded for the Panthers, kicking a 39-yard field goal to bring the game back within three.

Kasay would return to the field one last time to tie the game, 20-20, with a 49-yard field goal with 1:04 remaining in the game.

A series of passes from Brooks set up a 47-yard field goal. With wind gusts up to 23 miles-an-hour, Carney kicked the game-deciding field goal with three seconds left in regulation play.

Celebration on the New Orleans sideline quickly erupted and, for a second, fate was finally on their side.

"We knew what this game represented," Carney said in a Sports Illustrated interview. "When the game started, I think the players had their mind on football and the aspects of what they needed to do to get the job done. I'm thinking about place kicking and doing the best job that I can. When the buzzer sounded and the game was over, then I kind of realized what this game had meant to a lot of people."

Carney was right. When does football become more than football?

It has been a while since I've seen a football team come together to play for a city. The Saints represent New Orleans and they represent the thousands of fans who would have normally crammed into the Superdome to cheer their beloved team.

The Saints' win gave the city of New Orleans hope. And for a second, Saints faithful were able to take their minds off of Katrina and were able to stand up and cheer.

There was no drama on the field. There were no cheap shots and no one-man shows. There was no post-game chat about contracts and team feuds. It was simply football. And it was magnificent.

The Saints showed great pride in their city. Their win did not come as a shock to me. Not only will the Saints be playing this season closer as a team, they will also be playing with the thoughts of their fans in their hearts.