No love for non-rev’s

Ah, yes. The start of fall. It can mean only one thing — football season. And what a glorious time of year it is. Sure, we may all be grudgingly going back, or, for some, going for the first time, to class, struggling with new (or old) roommates or a litany of other issues, but those worries fly out the window when Saturday morning rolls around.

Problems are replaced with three-story beer bongs. Disagreements are forgiven while screaming the Van Morrison classic “Brown-Eyed Girl” at the top of your lungs. And nothing cures a rotten hangover faster than the thought of leaping from the Camp Randall bleachers to House of Pain’s “Jump Around.” Yes, football season is a glorious event at UW. It’s a party from dawn to, well, dawn.

So, with my requisite praise of Wisconsin’s game day revelry out of the way, it’s time for the revelation.

There is more to fall athletics at Wisconsin than just football.

I know — it seems preposterous. After all, how many of us were served heaping helpings of the glory that is Wisconsin football on our campus visits? Probably most of us. The athletic department sells it, the university sells it and even we students sell it to our friends. Even this grizzled sports fan knew very little, if anything, about Wisconsin sports that weren’t football or men’s basketball before stepping foot on campus.

But, believe me, there are other top-notch programs on this campus, and when taking into account the game itself, they are just as fun to watch. Sports Illustrated doesn’t continually name Madison one of the top college-sports towns in the nation because it has only one great sports team. And in a year when a good season on the gridiron is anything but certain, UW fans can rest assured that championship-caliber action will be found elsewhere on campus.

One need look no further than the weathered bricks of the Field House, next to the new-look Camp Randall Stadium, for one of these teams. For years, the Wisconsin volleyball team has fielded a perennial top-25 program, never failing to miss an NCAA tournament since 1995. In fact, since 1990, UW has missed the postseason tournament only twice.

Last year was no exception, as head coach Pete Waite’s squad advanced all the way to the Elite Eight despite being unranked prior to last season.

This season, the outlook is even brighter for the Badgers. UW, which earned a preseason ranking of No. 10 according to the CSTV/AVCA Division I Coaches poll, returns six starters from last year’s Elite Eight squad, including unanimous all-Big Ten selection Shelia Shaw and senior standout Aubrey Meirotto, who will serve as team captains.

Wisconsin has led the Big Ten in attendance the last four years, so fans are learning about the Field House’s great weekend atmosphere. But in spite of UW’s honorable rank, the volleyball audience took up less than half the capacity of the Field House. Seriously, that place deserves to be packed.

For those looking for outdoor action, head down to the McClimon Sports Complex to catch a glimpse of the UW women’s soccer team. Last season, Wisconsin went 16-6-1, advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament, where they lost to eventual national champion Notre Dame.

This season, the Badgers enter the season with a preseason rank of No. 25 in the nation. Wisconsin has already defeated a tough Creighton squad and upset No. 23 Kansas 3-2 to open its season.

With a core group of seniors returning, including Marissa Brown, Jessica Ring, Amy Vermeulen and Katy Lindenmuth, the Badgers are primed for a deep run into the postseason.

Despite its success last year and preseason recognition this year, little is heard about the team. As a writer covering them last year, I can say that attendance was far from intimidating, and definitely not on par with a national-tournament qualifier.

Football will always have a special place in Wisconsin tradition, but Wisconsin is far from a one-trick pony. These teams are as competitive as any in the nation and deserve just as much respect as the football team. They’ve put in hours of work to attain a high level of performance. Now it’s up to the fans to show respect for that work and prove just why Madison is one of the top college-sports towns in the nation.