Wisconsin sees 7 former Badgers drafted over weekend

While Erasmus James was the first Badger selected in this year’s NFL Draft, he was far from alone, with six other former UW players being picked over the course of the two-day event.

However, former UW star Jim Leonhard found himself on the other side of the draft spectrum Sunday, watching as all 32 teams passed on him in favor of other players. Shortly after the draft, Leonhard signed a free-agent contract with the Buffalo Bills, joining former Badgers Lee Evans and Troy Vincent on the Buffalo roster.

“This is definitely a positive outcome with the way everything ended up,” Leonhard said. “It was frustrating, especially the high number of safeties that ended up going and feeling that I was better than a lot of them and seeing them go in front of me, that kind of hurt a little bit. But, it worked out for the best and I think everything’s going to be all right.”

Leonhard chose Buffalo’s offer over contracts from Baltimore and Philadelphia, and with only three safeties listed on the Bills’ roster, he figures to get a chance to show his mettle right away in next weekend’s mini-camp.

“I guess just the whole situation as far as their safety situation and as well as special teams and possibly returning punts for them,” Leonhard said. “I guess that kind of put them ahead of the rest.”

Scott Starks, Leonhard’s teammate in the defensive backfield, was the lone fellow Badger to join James among the drafted Saturday, as the Jacksonville Jaguars selected the cornerback in the third round. Starks said his agent, Jason Fletcher, had told him prior to the draft to expect a call between picks No. 73 and 93, and Jacksonville grabbed him with the 87th selection.

“He kind of hit right on the money,” Starks said. “I wasn’t surprised at all.”

Starks said he had only talked to the Jaguars on two occasions but is excited for the move to Florida. He also said he talked to former Badger and current San Diego Charger Jamar Fletcher, who attended the same high school as Starks, about making the move to the NFL. Starks joins a young Jacksonville defense and believes he has a legitimate shot to play early on.

“I feel if they’re taking me that high that they feel I have a chance to get on the field,” Starks said. “So, I just have to go in and learn the system and work hard and do whatever I have to do to get on that field.”

Offensive guard Dan Buenning was the first Badger drafted Sunday, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers using pick No. 107 on the former UW lineman. Oddly enough, Buenning had never talked to Tampa Bay officials until he received the call from Buccaneer head coach Jon Gruden telling him he had been picked.

“[Gruden] said that they need some help on the O-line, and he was really looking forward to having me down there, getting some work in and competing for the job,” Buenning said.

A Green Bay native, Buenning logically had hopes that his hometown Packers would select him. However, Green Bay waited until later in the draft to pick any offensive linemen.

“Green Bay would have been nice, yes, being as easy to move in and stuff like that, but I was really looking forward to going somewhere else and seeing a new area of the country,” Buenning said.

Indianapolis added two Badgers Sunday, selecting defensive end Jonathan Welsh and running back Anthony Davis in the fifth and seventh rounds, respectively. The pick actually caught Welsh by surprise, who was expecting to go to either the Browns, Giants or Eagles.

After working out extensively at linebacker as a possible outside backer in a 3-4 defensive scheme, the lanky Welsh will likely stay at end for the Colts, who already employ speed pass rushers Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney in their scheme.

“I think I fit in basically as a pass rusher right now at defensive end, and that’s what I’ve been hearing from them,” Welsh said. “It just gives me a great opportunity to go somewhere that I have somewhat familiarity with the position, and just to pass rush, actually have a chance to rush the passer. They have a great team, so I’m just looking forward to contributing.”

Welsh’s defensive line mate Jason Jefferson had to wait the longest of any Badger other than Davis. The New Orleans Saints snagged Jefferson with their sixth-round selection, No. 193 overall.

“They told me they liked my size, they liked my quickness,” said Jefferson, who spent the day watching his home state Chicago Bulls defeat the Washington Wizards at the United Center. “So they just told me just to come in and work hard and do what I do.”

The biggest surprise of the draft for Wisconsin was defensive tackle Anttaj Hawthorne’s plummet into the sixth round. Hawthorne had been rated as high as a first-round value at times during the months leading up to the draft, but he slipped immensely following a positive drug test for marijuana at the NFL Combine.

Even after the test, Hawthorne was considered to be a first-day prospect. However, team after team passed on Hawthorne until the Oakland Raiders ended his freefall with the first pick of the sixth round.

“Everybody has a chance,” said Welsh, who was shocked that Hawthorne was picked behind him. “This is his time now, he has to prove that he was worth more than what he was drafted at. But, on the other hand, the draft is just a draft. He could be a Tom Brady guy. Things happen, things happen for a reason.”

Former UW long snapper Matt Katula also inked a free-agent contract after the draft, joining the Baltimore Ravens. Katula was ranked as the top long snapper available in this year’s draft.

Wisconsin’s seven players drafted tied it with Virginia for third place among all schools for most players selected. Oklahoma led all colleges with 11 players, followed by Florida State with nine.