Klingelhoets continues to build coaching legacy

For the past 23 years, one man has roamed the sidelines at the Nielsen Tennis Center. Pat Klingelhoets, a 1972 graduate of the university, is the longest-reigning coach in University of Wisconsin tennis history.

Klingelhoets has compiled a career coaching record of 289-281 (.507), and has led a total of 13 players to 21 all-Big Ten selections. In addition to his coaching success, Klingelhoets excelled as a player in his undergraduate years, attaining a career singles record of 27-12 (.692), and captaining the 1971-72 squad.

From early in his childhood, through his college years, to his current coaching tenure, Klingelhoets has stayed close to home, embracing the city of Madison and all it has to offer.

“I grew up here,” Klingelhoets said. “I went to high school in Monona Grove, so I’ve basically lived here my whole life, other than a few years when I was [coaching] in Janesville. I just love the city … and I’m noted for being a fisherman, so this is a great place because it’s got the lakes, and it’s just a lot of great people and it’s really a good city.”

Klingelhoets’ playing career began unexpectedly while in high school and since then the esteemed coach has become completely attached to the sport he loves to teach.

“I started playing when I was a sophomore in high school,” Klingelhoets said. “Basically, I started playing because I didn’t think I was going to make the baseball team … wasn’t really sure I could make the varsity team, so a friend talked me into playing tennis and that’s kind of how it started. Then came the chance to teach people tennis, and that’s basically what I’ve been doing my entire career.”

When Klingelhoets accepted the head-coaching job in 1983, he began a reign that produced 24 different players receiving 45 academic all-Big Ten honors. Recipients include 2002 Big Ten Medal of Honor winner and current assistant coach Danny Westerman, as well as two-time academic All-American Jack Waite.

“You look at guys like Danny [Westerman], and Jack Waite, and Tim Madden — those were some unbelievable competitors,” Klingelhoets said. “Those are the guys who are the most fun to coach because you just teach them some shots and then put them on a court, and you know they’re going to give it everything they’ve got.”

In addition to elevating past performers, Klingelhoets is again enriching his current players with his compassionate and approachable coaching style. With four new freshmen joining the 2004-05 squad, Klingelhoets has eased the transition into the college game with his positive attitude and understanding of his young players.

“Coming in [to Madison], I was pretty low, not doing well at all,” freshman Jeremy Sonkin said. “Then [Coach Klingelhoets] really picked me up and raised my game, and I can’t thank him enough for helping me out. He always has something to tell you, and he’s always willing to take the time to come out and work with you.”

Along with his motivational coaching techniques, Klingelhoets has also drawn praise for his knowledge and experience of tennis.

“He gives great advice and he really helps us a lot,” Sonkin said. “He’s always out there during our doubles matches telling us what to do, what strategies to use to work the points. It’s really good to have someone as wise as him — someone who knows so much about the game and loves it so much … having him as a head coach has really been an honor.”

Klingelhoets’ coaching style is a product of a lifetime around the sport of tennis, as well as his personal devotion to teaching others.

“The thing I enjoy most about the job is just teaching tennis,” Klingelhoets said. “I spend a lifetime trying to learn this game and trying to pass that knowledge on, and just teaching people how to play the game and how to hit the ball correctly is the most enjoyable part of it.”

Following his graduation from UW and prior to his appointment as head coach, Klingelhoets operated as head tennis professional at the Janesville Athletic Club for seven years and at the Cherokee Country Club in Madison for three years.

While Klingelhoets admits he has lost some of his drive for playing the game, the 55-year-old tennis ace achieved a memorable accomplishment in 2000 when he won all four of the state men’s open division tournaments, including the Wisconsin State Open. Though he may not compete anymore, the head coach still likes to mix it up a little during practice.

“I don’t have the competitive fire that I probably had three or four years ago,” Klingelhoets confessed. “But I still like to get out there and do some drill games with the guys and see if I can sneak up on them once in awhile and win one of them.”