Stocco looks to hold on to starting job

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Stocco_AM_416[/media-credit]A year ago, despite posting a 9-3 record, Wisconsin ranked second to last in the Big Ten in scoring offense. Now, with running back Anthony Davis and three starters on the offensive line gone, the Badgers began spring practice this past weekend with a number of questions on the offensive side of the ball.

“This is a young football team, yet we have a lot of veterans,” head coach Barry Alvarez said. “We have a lot of guys who have played a lot of football. I love teams like this; they can make huge strides in the off-season, which they did. I think they got stronger, I think they moved a lot better, I think they really prepared themselves well for spring practice, which I saw.”

The competition begins at quarterback, where incumbent John Stocco returns, but will need to hold off challenges from sophomore Tyler Donovan and redshirt freshman Bryan Savage.

Donovan played sparingly a year ago, only attempting three passes. However, he rushed for 117 yards on just 11 attempts. Savage redshirted last year after earning PrepStar All-American honors in high school. All three have seen time with the first team offense in practice thus far.

“I’m going to look at all of them,” Alvarez said of his quarterbacks. “We’re going to give them all reps with different teams. But, competition’s good, it’s healthy, and we want to give those guys a chance, see how they produce.”

Stocco started all 12 games last season, passing for 1999 yards and nine touchdowns to seven interceptions. However, he endured his fair share of struggles and failed to complete 50 percent of his pass attempts in five games.

“We’ve got to play better (at quarterback),” Alvarez said. “We’ve just got to be more effective and efficient. That’s what that is. Knowing where to go to with the ball, throwing better, making better decisions, completing the ball more. It’s not real complicated. We need to get better at that position.”

Wide receiver Brandon Williams, Stocco’s favorite target a year ago with 42 catches, did not practice with a stress fracture, but should be ready after spring break, according to Alvarez. Williams’ absence has given a number of younger players the chance to work with the first unit along with seniors Brandon White and Jonathan Orr.

“We need to develop Jarvis (Minton) and Paul Hubbard, (Jeff) Holzbauer and (Luke) Swan,” co-offensive coordinator Brian White said. “We need to get those guys ready to play.”

Running backs Booker Stanley and Brian Calhoun have split time on the first team, though Stanley currently sits atop the Wisconsin depth chart. Calhoun, a Colorado transfer who sat out last year in accordance with NCAA rules, has also returned punts in practice.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Calhoun said. “It feels good to be out there. The most important thing, it feels good just to be able to contribute now that I know I can play next year and all of us are just excited that spring ball is finally here.”

With multi-year starters at three positions gone on the offensive line, seniors Matt Lawrence and Jason Palermo and redshirt freshman Kraig Urbik have played with returning starters Joe Thomas and Donovan Raiola. In total, Wisconsin lost four offensive linemen (tackles Morgan Davis and Mike Lorenz and guards Jonathan Clinkscale and Dan Buenning) who played significant time last season.

“Jason Palermo is a hard-working guy and a senior and Matt Lawrence, it’s their time to play,” White said.

Sophomore Marcus Coleman is also a candidate for playing time and is listed second on the spring depth chart behind Palermo at right guard. True freshman Andy Kemp, who enrolled early at UW to practice with the team, currently sits behind Lawrence at left guard, a senior who has yet to log significant playing time. Kemp played tackle in high school and enters Wisconsin as a highly touted recruit.

“[Kemp]’s as far along as any true freshman lineman I’ve ever seen,” Alvarez said. “He’s got punch, he’s ridiculously strong, his eyes are wide open, he hangs on every word, he wants to be good and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t contribute this year. He really is special.”

Wisconsin continues spring practice this week before breaking for more than two weeks. The Badgers resume April 1 and conclude their spring schedule with the annual intra-squad scrimmage April 16.