Athleticism on display at UW Pro Timing Day

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]ProDay_AM_416[/media-credit]NFL scouts descended on the McClain Center Wednesday afternoon to watch the UW football team’s recent graduates display their athleticism at Wisconsin’s annual Pro Timing Day.

Former Badger standouts auditioned for representatives from more than a dozen NFL programs. While most clubs sent lower-profile personnel, new Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban made the trip himself. Saban had a conversation with defensive line coach John Palermo, and defensive end Erasmus James said he planned to meet with Saban after the workouts.

“I talked to [Saban] this morning and I actually got a meeting with him right now as well,” James said.

James and former line mate Jonathan Welsh showcased their versatility Wednesday by running drills at both linebacker and defensive line, as they did at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

“I think I did great in the linebacker drills,” James said. “I think I showed my versatility, my quickness and also my hands.”

After the workouts, James said he thought his performance improved his draft status.

“I definitely helped myself, especially with showing them the versatility that I bring to the table,” James said. “I definitely think I’m the No. 1 defensive end.”

Following his second public workout at linebacker, Welsh, who ran an unofficial 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, said he plans to move away from the defensive line in the NFL.

“Switch to linebacker, baby,” Welsh said of his plans for the next level. “Rush the quarterback on third down.”

All four members of the UW defensive line worked out Wednesday, along with former Badger Darius Jones. Defensive tackle Anttaj Hawthorne was pleased with his performance, logging a 5.06-second 40-yard dash, 7.7 seconds in the three-cone drill and 8-feet-7-inches in the broad jump. Hawthorne also recorded 24 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press.

“My numbers here were better than what I did at the Combine,” Hawthorne said.

The highlight of the afternoon for James and the ’04 UW defensive line came when Buffalo Bills defensive line coach Tim Krumrie sparred with the six recruits while decked out in jeans and cowboy boots.

“That was probably the hardest thing,” Hawthorne said.

Cornerback Scott Starks stole the show in the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.35 seconds. Wide-out Darrin Charles raised a few eyebrows with his 40 time, crossing the line unofficially at 4.62.

Charles was also impressive in the vertical leap, where the 6-foot-6 receiver came in at 36 inches. The most memorable jump, though, came from Chuckie Cowans, who drew applause after logging a 39-inch vertical. Cowans would record a 10.5-foot broad jump later in the afternoon.

Defensive lineman Kalvin Barrett, at 316 pounds, led the way in the bench press with 29 reps at 225 pounds. For the offensive line, Jonathan Clinkscale logged 25 reps and Mike Lorenz recorded 23. James opted not to lift after completing the bench press at the NFL Combine.

Long snapper Matt Katula drew significant attention during his workout, in which he hit the mark on all but one of 35 attempts in a targeted long-snap exercise. After the workout, Katula was pleased with his release time, which was estimated between .66 and .71 seconds.

Sidelined with a stress fracture, safety Jim Leonhard did not participate in the workouts. Still unsure where he will fall in the upcoming draft, Leonhard was forced to watch the proceedings with his foot in a protective boot.

“I don’t really have an idea what’s going to happen right now,” Leonhard said. “It’s just frustrating not being able to do anything about it.”

— Tom Ziemer and Joe Ziemer contributed to this report.