Peruvian import Bellido making immediate impact

Fresh off of his decisive 6-0, 6-0 victory over Butler’s Eric Breitenbach, University of Wisconsin men’s tennis player Felipe Bellido is feeling confident and relaxed.

“I started out the season pretty good and now I’m feeling great,” Bellido said. “I’ve won my last couple of matches and I’m playing strong.”

The 5-foot-10 freshman from Lima, Peru, has been making waves on the team both on and off the court since he arrived last fall. With his own distinct culture, Bellido brings an animated personality to an already geographically diverse team that includes only two Wisconsin natives.

While he has only lived in the United States for a short time, Bellido has adapted to the culture and environment with the help of his coaches and teammates.

“The team is really united,” Bellido said. “We all click together well, and we’ve got a great facility with a great program and coaches that really care about us. The freshmen are all pals and we try to help each other out; everybody’s cool with everybody.”

Bellido has played competitive tennis in Peru since he was only eight years old and was the No. 1-ranked junior player in the country at one point. In the summer of 2004, Bellido represented Peru in the Davis Cup.

“[The Davis Cup] was hard as hell,” Bellido said. “We played Equador, and they were so good — I had never seen players that skilled. It was a really great experience though.”

Along with competing in the Davis Cup, Bellido also gained experience from playing in the No. 1 singles flight for the Federation Peruana Tennis Organization in multiple South American championships.

Converting to indoor play at Wisconsin has been one of the toughest challenges to conquer so far for the Peruvian phenom.

“It’s different because (in Peru) we always play on clay and we never play indoors because the weather is always nice and perfect,” Bellido said. “[The game] is so much faster indoor and it makes a big difference … [playing indoor] was definitely hard to get used to.”

Bellido has found a base with the other new freshmen on the team — Jeremy Sonkin, Elliot Bisnow and Brian Ko — and they have all quickly bonded to the delight of head coach Pat Klingelhoets.

“All the freshman have been getting along so well together,” Klingelhoets said. “They all support each other and they fit in well with the older guys.”

Although changing his tennis style was certainly an obstacle, an even larger hurdle for Bellido has been conforming to the fast-paced cultural lifestyles of Americans.

“The main difference is the food,” Bellido said. “I miss the food from back home. Everybody here eats so fast, I like to take my time when I eat — they’re all done in like 10 minutes, and it takes me like an hour.”

Bellido’s easy-going attitude and colorful personality have also influenced his teammates, who have given him the nicknames ‘Phil’ and ‘Peru.’

“[Felipe] is a great guy and is really energetic,” junior teammate Mark Weinig said. “He’s fun to mess with because he’s a foreigner and he does things a little differently.”

Bellido’s unique background also adds an alternative perspective of sorts.

“Felipe’s cool, I love the kid,” teammate Brian Ko said. “He brings a different view of things to the team because he is from Peru. We get along real well since we’re both freshmen, and he’s a great asset to the team.”

Bellido’s fine play has not been overlooked by Klingelhoets, who has commended the freshman gem for his effort and hard work.

“[Felipe’s] been playing very good lately and he’s right up there in the same boat as Jeremy (Sonkin),” Klingelhoets said. “He had two great matches in our last road trip and his serve has shown a lot of improvement.”

Throughout the year, Bellido has played solid at the No. 5 singles position, earning a 9-8 record overall, and going 4-2 during the spring season thus far. He currently holds a three-match win streak and will look to improve when the Badgers travel to East Lansing, Mich., to battle Big Ten rival Michigan State next Saturday.

By the end of the season, Bellido hopes his appreciation for Cuban salsa music and his leisurely pace will rub off onto the rest of the team.

“They do everything fast here,” Bellido said. “I’m late for everything, and if you are not on time you have to run sprints. I think everybody else needs to just slow down.”