Goalkeeper Horras shouldering load for UW

In the game of hockey, the goalie is the backbone of a team. A squad can boast All-American wings, Olympic-caliber defenders or a crafty center, but in order to win on a consistent basis, that team needs a quick, sharp goaltender with a knack for stopping six ounces of frozen rubber from crossing the goal line. Luckily for the Wisconsin women’s hockey team, netminders Meghan Horras and Christine Dufour have made stopping shots a habit this season. Both have repeatedly performed at a high level while essentially alternating games all season long, generally not knowing who will start until shortly before game time.

Lately, the burden has fallen on the shoulders of Horras. Dufour suffered a leg injury over a month ago, and Horras has started every game since UW’s 4-0 win over Quinnipiac Jan. 8.

Prior to that, Horras and Dufour split time, with each generally starting one game per series. However, head coach Mark Johnson rarely knew until it was almost time to play who would start in goal. Johnson made each decision based on simply a “gut feeling.”

Last season, the strategy was much the same. Horras and Dufour played just about an equal number of games, with Horras leading the team and the WCHA in goals against average, with 1.40, and save percentage, with .935.

This season the story has changed. Dufour, a butterfly goalie from Quebec, passed Horras in each of these categories and took the lead in the WCHA as well with a save percentage of .955 and a goals against average of just 0.78 before she went down with the injury.

With Dufour bearing down in her rearview mirror, Horras has had an ever-present source of motivation.

“It’s a struggle,” Horras said of the situation. “You don’t want to give an inch in practice or anything like that. You know in a game, if you screw up, you’re probably not going to play tomorrow. [Dufour is] a very good goaltender. It’s nice to have someone like that pushing you.”

Since Dufour’s injury, Horras has stepped to the forefront, playing some of her best hockey of the season. The Jan. 8 win over Quinnipiac was Horras’ fourth shutout of the season and part of an impressive streak of shutouts that ended at 232:02, setting the UW record for the longest span without allowing a goal, passing Jackie MacMillan’s mark of 221:35. Horras’ streak spanned five games and included a shutout against Minnesota-Duluth, the Bulldogs’ first blanking since 2001. Since taking over as the full time goalie, Horras has added five more shutouts to her season total, which currently stands at nine. This past weekend, the Appleton native posted a pair of shutouts against WCHA foe Bemidji State.

Horras thoroughly enjoys and thrives on the challenge of starting every game, if her statistics didn’t make that obvious enough. The experience has given her the additional confidence and reassurance that she will be in net even after a disappointing performance.

“[Starting regularly is] good for learning how to keep my focus and work on things that I normally wouldn’t have a chance to do,” Horras explained. “If I let in a bad goal, I have the ability now to realize it’s a bad goal but take it as a learning experience and realize I’m still going to play tomorrow and use what I’ve learned.”

Horras has made the most of the golden opportunity, but the strain of playing every minute of every game has added a considerable weight.

“Freshman year I sat every game, and I was thinking ‘I could do that. It’s not that hard,'” Horras said. “And then when you actually get the chance to do it, you don’t think [playing every game is] going to be that hard, but it’s tiring.”

Despite the fatigue, Horras revels in the opportunity to play every game. Playing night in and night out has also allowed the junior to find her groove on the ice.

“I like to play both games, because you get into a rhythm,” Horras said. “In a way it’s kind of nice to have a step back and watch a game, but I love to compete, and I hate watching from the bench.”