Badgers prepare for arduous stretch

Coming off their weeklong break, the Badgers face a tough stretch in which the team takes the floor three times in six days.

First, Wisconsin travels to Michigan State for a Thursday evening match at the Breslin Center wrought with conference implications. Then, Sunday, Ryan’s squad heads to Columbus, Ohio, to square up against head coach Thad Matta’s scrappy Buckeyes. Finally, the grueling stretch ends at the Kohl Center as the Badgers host Indiana next Tuesday.

“At this time of the year, we are trying to stay sharp because we know what we have coming up,” Ryan said. “We know the caliber of the teams we are playing and we know that every night we’re going to be challenged.”

Wisconsin faced a similar schedule earlier in the season when the Badgers hosted Maryland and UW-Green Bay and traveled to Rutgers on a seven-day circuit. Wisconsin went 3-0 in those games, though winning by an average of just 7.6 points.

Despite the weekend being a little restless, Ryan kept the Badgers on a normal practice routine and didn’t see a drop off in their team’s intensity.

“[Over the weekend], I didn’t see any changes in their demeanor or work ethic,” Ryan said. “I had a blast on Friday and Saturday. Lost on some Yahtzee games, got a book in; it just was a little different not having a game.”

Time off: After successfully defending their home court against Michigan last Wednesday, the Wisconsin Badgers (17-6, 8-4 Big Ten) got a rare treat by receiving the weekend off to rest and recuperate.

In their win against Michigan, forwards Mike Wilkinson, Zach Morley, Alando Tucker and Ray Nixon all scored at least 10 points. Under head coach Bo Ryan, Wisconsin is now 37-1 when at least four players put up double figures.

Wisconsin also beat the Wolverines on the boards last Wednesday by a margin of 39-28. This season, the Badgers have out-rebounded their opponents 14 times, going 12-2 in those contests.

“We tell our guys that every time a ball’s shot, it’s a free ball,” Ryan said. “A lot of coaches make a big deal about loose balls on the floor, which we do to. [I mean], go get it, it’s loose; nobody has control of it so why shouldn’t it be ours?”

With four games remaining before the start of the Big Ten Tournament, and the NCAA tournament a little over three weeks away, Ryan hopes that his team’s intensity doesn’t drop off during the post season run.

“It’s all about position, intensity and passion for the ball,” he said. “Some teams will send more people to the offensive boards so it’s all in your philosophy, but it’s also all in what type of players you have and how aggressive they are going to be.”

Chappell in action: Seeing the most action of his young career, sophomore forward Jason Chappell clocked in eight minutes in Wisconsin’s win Wednesday. In those eight minutes, Chappell registered two points, one assist and pulled down four rebounds. After redshirting last season in hopes of curing a nagging foot injury, Chappell has now seen action in 10 of Wisconsin’s 23 games this season.

Citing Chappell’s work ethic in practice, Ryan said he felt the sophomore deserved to be rewarded with some minutes.

“[Jason Chappell] is contributing on the glass and defensively,” Ryan said. “There aren’t any mysteries or mind games coaches play with players. We are always looking for contributions and people give them at different times and different ways. Some are more consistent than others. If you are doing something in practice and you’re showing improvement, there will be that opportunity for you.”