Ice Badgers getting back to basics on defense

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Burish_AM_416[/media-credit]The Wisconsin men’s hockey team finds itself in a bit of a conundrum. The Badgers currently lead the WHCA in goals allowed per game (at 2.27) heading into this weekend’s matchup with Colorado College, the conference’s second-best scoring offense. After yielding a mere six goals in its previous seven contests, UW has allowed 12 goals in its last three, including seven scores in last weekend’s trip to Denver.

“Well, I use words like crisp or sharp,” Wisconsin associate head coach Troy Ward said. “I don’t think we’ve been exactly that. I think one of the things that’s been a little bit more difficult for us to deal with is the past two weekends we’ve had to probably deal with the two deepest clubs in the league offensively. So that’s probably put more guys on notice on a consistent basis shift after shift.”

In Minnesota and Denver, UW faced two of the fastest top-to-bottom offensive teams in the nation. The Pioneers hurt the Badgers with several odd-man rushes over the weekend en route to capturing three of the possible four weekend points.

“We definitely haven’t been crisp the last couple weekends,” defenseman Jeff Likens said. “We need to get in there, the thing we need to do the most is move our feet. We need to get back into closing down the gaps faster. That was our biggest problem, we were just so slow the last couple of weekends of getting in there and closing the gaps and shutting it down quickly.”

At the same time Wisconsin is attempting to escape its recent defensive funk, the team is also struggling to convert on the power play. After scoring three times on the man advantage two weekends ago in a split with Minnesota, UW failed to net a goal in its 11 chances in Denver.

“It’s kind of like a momentum thing for our team, and when our power play isn’t doing so good, we kind of lose momentum,” defenseman Tom Gilbert said. “And we’ve been working on it this week so far. You score a couple of power-play goals; you have a better chance at winning the game. So, when you go 0-for-11 on a weekend, it’s obviously not good … obviously, this week we’re going to work on it a little more.”

The Badgers have failed to score on the power play in only eight of their 30 games this season, but four of those blankings have come in the last month. UW failed to score on the man advantage in a pair of wins over Notre Dame near the end of January, going 0-for-12 in the series, in addition to posting no power-play tallies last weekend in Denver.

“Well I think part of the issue is that we’re playing against teams that have given us a challenge just even getting into the zone,” UW head coach Mike Eaves said. “Our ability to get in the zone versus the teams we’ve played recent versus the other teams, that challenge has risen. So, we haven’t been as effective. So, that’s been part of it and then the other part is taking what’s given. Once we get the puck, taking what’s given and having poise and confidence.”

Injury update: Freshman forward Matt Ford is progressing nicely after undergoing knee surgery, which has forced him to miss Wisconsin’s last two series. Ford should return to the lineup this weekend.

“He definitely skated more freely today,” Eaves said Wednesday. “So, we’ll check again after here and see where he’s at, talk to [trainer Andy Hrodey] and the doctor.”

Junior A.J. Degenhardt suffered a shoulder injury in last Saturday’s 3-3 tie against Denver. Earlier in the contest, Degenhardt scored his fourth goal of the season. The La Crosse native will not play this weekend.

Junior captain Adam Burish is currently ill and has missed time in practice this week while recuperating. Burish posted two points against Denver, including his third shorthanded goal of the season on a breakaway in Friday’s loss.

“Hopefully [Burish will] feel better tomorrow, and have a skate and be ready to go on the weekend,” Eaves said Wednesday. “You know what he’s like — he could be on his deathbed and he’s going to be there. We think that another day and his illness will be good to go.”

Locked out: Eaves, who played eight seasons in the National Hockey League, could only shake his head and describe Wednesday’s cancellation of the NHL season as “disappointing.”

“I just think of all the people it’s going to affect,” Eaves said. “The ripple effect is going to be, it has been already out reaching, but now it’s going to create another wave of the ripple effect, in terms of the draft and kids trying to get into that league. It’s very disappointing.”

Both of Eaves’ sons, Ben and Patrick, will feel the effects of the league’s decision. Ben signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins over the summer and currently plays for the AHL’s Wilks-Barre Penguins. Patrick, a Hobey Baker Award candidate for No. 2-ranked Boston College, was selected by the Ottawa Senators in the 2003 entry draft.

Another matter for debate is the potential growth in popularity of college hockey in the professionals’ absence. While common sense would dictate an increase of interest in the college game, Eaves is skeptical of whether or not that has transpired.

“I don’t see any tangible signs,” Eaves said. “I don’t think our attendance this year has risen this year because of the NHL strike. I think people are just excited for us and what we’re doing. College hockey hasn’t gotten on TV any more.”