Free throw shooting does Ryan’s squad in

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Wisconsin and Illinois both hit 22 field goals in Saturday’s game. The two teams each knocked down eight 3-pointers on the day. But the game was decided from the free throw line, where the Badgers converted on just seven of 16 attempts and the Illini connected on 18 of 19 shots.

The 11-point disparity from the charity stripe proved too much for the Badgers to overcome, giving the top-ranked Illini its 25th consecutive win. Once again, poor free throw shooting denied Wisconsin’s bid to take down a No. 1 for the first time since 1962.

The first meeting between the two teams followed a similar script, as the Badgers shot a dismal 5-for-12 from the free-throw line and the Illini poured in 17-of-20 en route to a 10-point Illinois win. As his team again fell victim to free throw shooting woes Saturday, UW head coach Bo Ryan could do nothing but watch the game slip away.

“Obviously you could use all those points,” head coach Bo Ryan said. “But you can’t yell someone into making a free throw. You can’t yell ‘hustle,’ ‘block out,’ ‘run the floor.’ A free throw is an individual muscle memory reflex operation, and let her go.”

Wisconsin was more efficient from the field than from the free-throw line Saturday, posting a field goal percentage of 46.8 percent compared to a 43.8 percent mark from the charity stripe. The Badgers’ 42.1 percent mark from 3-point range was just 1.7 percent below their free throw shooting percentage.

Meanwhile, Illinois shot 94.7 percent from the free-throw line, more than twice as efficient as Wisconsin. On a day in which the Illini finished with a lower shooting percentage than the Badgers from the field (45.8 percent), the Illini’s free throw superiority was decisive.

In bloom: Freshman Michael Flowers continues to expand his role for the Badgers in his debut season. In addition to casing athletic guard Dee Brown defensively, Flowers ran the point for a four-minute stretch in the first half. Known as a defensive specialist, Flowers filled in effectively in his first appearance at the one spot.

“I felt comfortable out there running the point,” Flowers said. “We ran the offense and it was like second nature.”

The versatile Flowers has seen time at both guard positions and as a swingman in practice. After Saturday’s game, Flowers expressed confidence in his ability to contribute at all three positions.

“At the one, at the two, at the three; Bo [Ryan]’s been putting me in different spots,” Flowers said. “I feel comfortable running at all three positions.”

Flowers took care of the ball during his stint at the point, as the freshman did not turn the ball over in 12 minutes of action.

The freshman also filled his traditional role as the Badgers’ top perimeter defender. After focusing on slowing down Brown in the first half, holding the ‘one-man fast break’ to just three points in the opening stanza, Flowers matched up against another member of the Illini Big Three for a brief stretch in the second half. After Deron Williams knocked down a pair of 3-pointers early in the second stanza, Ryan called on Flowers to cool the sniper’s hot hand.

“I think that’s the role I have and so I’m going to try to do everything in my power to complete that role,” Flowers said.

While Flowers did all he could to take his man out of the game, his defensive presence could not overcome the offensive efficiency of the Illini juggernaut. Whether or not Flowers was on the court, Illinois scored seemingly at will with a network of off-the-ball screens and effective ball movement.

“They hit some tough shots,” Flowers said. “You really can’t do anything when the ball goes in.”

Though he could not shut down Illinois’ Big Three, Flowers took a major step toward becoming a regular contributor for the Badgers. As his minutes continue to increase, Flowers is making a push for an expanded role as Wisconsin enters the stretch run leading up to the Big Ten tournament.

“He’s getting better day in, day out,” guard Sharif Chambliss said. “I wish Michael Flowers the best of luck. He’ll hopefully be able to add some more to this team by the time we get to where we’re going.”

Back to old tricks: Athletic swingman Alando Tucker put the Badgers on his back Saturday, posting 24 points and eight rebounds on 9-for-18 shooting. The message was clear — he’s back.

“I feel good,” Tucker said after the game. “I’ve been telling Coach and talking to the athletic trainers … I tell them I’m ready.”

Tucker was on the floor for 35 minutes Saturday, his longest outing since returning from a two-game absence Feb. 5 against Minnesota. In his third game back after a toe injury, Tucker no longer appeared limited physically.

The high-flying forward was back to his old self, scoring down low with speed and power and working hard on the weakside glass. In addition to pouring in more than 20 points for the first time since the injury, Tucker hauled in four offensive rebounds in the loss. The swingman even found himself on the receiving end of an alley-oop midway through the second half.

“That’s about as high as I’ve ever gotten this season since I injured my leg,” Tucker said. “It felt good. I just felt good out here. I’m feeling more relaxed and just trying to get my jumping ability back.”

With his first dominant performance since the toe injury, Tucker hopes he has put his season-long injury struggles behind him.

“There are still some things that I still have to work on, I’m still fighting through, but physically I’m feeling good right now,” Tucker said. “There’s not going to be any questions, hopefully, for the remainder of the Big Ten season.”