Ryan defends freshman center

Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan publicly responded Thursday to commentator Doug Gottlieb’s criticism of forward Brian Butch during an ESPN broadcast of Tuesday’s game between Wisconsin and Illinois. During his commentary at halftime, Gottlieb called Butch the most overrated player in the Big Ten.

Ryan defended Butch to reporters Thursday and criticized Gottlieb’s decision to single out the forward in a negative manner.

“As a coach, I feel it is necessary to respond when someone on the outside attacks one of our players on an individual basis,” Ryan said. “To have a player individually called out in this manner is a sad commentary in this day in college athletics, especially by someone who has not seen us practice and, as far as I know, has never seen Brian (Butch) play in person in college.”

Ryan spoke out against Gottlieb’s remarks not only to defend his player, but to send a message to the media that he does not approve of derogatory commentary directed at an individual player.

“This is a coach protecting a player,” Ryan said. “If you let something like this go by, then you’re free game for everybody.”

In addition to expressing disapproval of Gottlieb’s comments, Ryan stated that Butch’s development has been affected by injury and by his mother’s struggle with breast cancer.

“After talking with Brian (Butch), I felt it necessary to share some of the things that he has been dealing with,” Ryan said. “His mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last spring and underwent surgery and treatment, and was recently given a clean bill of health.”

Ryan also mentioned that Butch has missed significant practice time this season, and defended the forward’s work ethic.

“Brian has missed close to 25 percent of our practices this season due to injury, and because of his body type, this has slowed his development at this point,” Ryan said. “His attitude and work ethic are as good as any player that I’ve ever worked with and have ever witnessed, and has never wavered.”

Ryan stated that he has had conversations with other coaches since the incident who agreed that Gottlieb’s comments were inappropriate. The Wisconsin helmsman said his aim was not to defend Butch’s ability, but to speak out against what he considered unwarranted criticism and to explain some of the factors that can affect a young player’s development.

“My goal in life as a coach and a teacher is to make sure these young men have a fair chance to develop to their fullest, and I’ll back them every chance I get,” Ryan said.