Eaves’ squad must defeat tough WCHA opposition

After 26 games, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team finds itself at a crossroads of sorts. The Ice Badgers are currently perched atop the WCHA conference standings on the strength of their 14 wins, leading Colorado College by just one point. Third-place Denver trails by five points, but has played two less games than UW or CC. Minnesota, currently in fourth, appears to be a long shot to capture the MacNaughton Cup, but then again, can the Gophers ever be counted out?

In all likelihood, the Badgers’ fortunes in the next month will decide their fate. Wisconsin gets a weekend off after last weekend’s series shutout of Notre Dame, while Colorado College, Denver and Minnesota all play. CC travels to Houghton for a showdown with conference cellar-dwelling Michigan Tech. Denver hosts eighth-place Alaska Anchorage. Minnesota hosts ever-disappointing Minnesota-Duluth. In other words, the Badgers won’t be getting any help this weekend before entering the toughest stretch of their schedule (or any schedule in the nation for that matter).

Feb. 4, 5 — Minnesota (18-9-0 overall, 11-7-0 in WCHA): True, the Gophers have struggled of late, as last weekend’s home sweep at the hands of Michigan Tech can attest to. However, this is the same club that swept the Badgers in Minneapolis earlier this year. When Wisconsin and Minnesota meet, as the old adage goes, you can throw out the records. In this case, the records are pretty good.

Feb. 11, 12 — at Denver (16-6-1 overall, 11-4-1 in WCHA): The Pioneers are without a doubt one of the most intriguing teams in the nation: defending national champions who lost the Frozen Four most outstanding player in goalie Adam Berkhoel and two 30-point scorers. Somehow, some way, Denver has persevered and played better than it did during last year’s regular season. George Gwozdecky’s team has been on a tear since splitting with Minnesota at home in late November, going 10-1-1. A bit of good news for the Badgers is their record in Denver over the years: 33-20-3, even better than when hosting the Pioneers (31-22-5).

Feb. 18, 19 — Colorado College (20-4-2 overall, 13-4-1 in WCHA): If both teams take care of business, then this series could be for all the WCHA marbles. It’s safe to say Wisconsin dodged a bullet in hosting the only matchup between the two conference juggernauts. Actually, make that a pair of bullets. Colorado College possesses the nation’s two top scorers in juniors Marty Sertich (45 points) and Brett Sterling (40). CC is coming off a somewhat disappointing weekend in which it tied and lost to floundering Minnesota-Duluth.

Feb. 26, 27 — at North Dakota (14-10-2 overall, 10-9-1 in WCHA): Wisconsin has posted just a 1-5-2 record in its last four trips to Grand Forks. However, North Dakota is not playing up to its usual standards, as evidenced by its fifth-place conference showing thus far. The Fighting Sioux have lost three of their last four, and may be fading.

Mar. 4, 5 — at Minnesota-Duluth (10-11-5 overall, 8-9-3 in WCHA): Duluth has not lived up to its preseason conference favorite status in the least bit. Another good omen for UW is the Badgers’ record in Duluth over the last seven years: 11-1-0.

So what are Wisconsin’s chances to win the league for the first time since 2000?

“I certainly wouldn’t mind being here when CC comes to play,” Anchorage head coach John Hill said after seeing UW sweep his team more than two weeks ago. “I think that Minnesota’s going to hang in there, I think they’ve got a favorable schedule. I had a lot of time on the flight so I looked at the schedules. I think Wisconsin’s got the most difficult schedule, but I think they’re the strongest team in every facet … I think CC or Wisconsin will win the league.”

Assuming both teams sweep their opponents heading into their mid-February matchup, Colorado College would lead Wisconsin by three points. CC has a much better chance to enter the series on a hot streak than UW. After traveling to Michigan Tech this weekend, the Tigers play at Minnesota State and host St. Cloud State. Not exactly Minnesota and Denver.

Statistically the two teams are almost inseparable. Both average 3.78 goals per contest. Wisconsin ranks first in the WHCA on the power play. Colorado College ranks second, trailing UW by just .3 percent. Wisconsin holds the advantage in penalty-kill and team defense, but CC has the most potent scoring combination in the nation.

“With CC, you have Sterling and Serich, probably as good as any two forwards in the country,” Hill said. “I think Wisconsin will be able to neutralize them because they do a good job positionally, they take away the middle of the ice and they’re physically strong.”

Whether that scenario occurs or not remains to be seen, but the next five series will serve as the biggest test of the season for Wisconsin. In the last three seasons, the national champion has come from the WCHA — if the Badgers pass this test, there is no reason to believe they won’t be the next.