Blueliner coming of age

[media-credit name=’AJ MacLean/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]klubertanz_am_416[/media-credit]Entering this season, the single biggest question facing Mike Eaves and the Wisconsin men’s hockey team was defense. With three freshmen entering the lineup and trying to replace a trio of defensive stalwarts in Dan Boeser, Andy Wozniewski and Ryan Suter, UW’s young blue-liners were expected to be the team’s Achilles’ heel. Thus far, however, defense has been a strength rather than a weakness.

Sun Prairie native Kyle Klubertanz began the season as the most heralded of the UW defensive youngsters. Last summer the Anaheim Mighty Ducks selected the young defenseman in the third round of the NHL entry draft, making him the highest-drafted member of the UW roster before even playing a game. Klubertanz took over Boeser’s spot alongside sophomore Jeff Likens to open the season. Immediately, the freshman knew a significant amount of pressure rested on his shoulders.

“They were losing a bunch of guys, and the oldest guy is a junior,” Klubertanz said. “Just being a freshman … that just puts pressure on you there. That was more than anything, just coming in here and knowing that the freshmen have to step up and play well.”

Klubertanz has done just that. After initially struggling, the freshman has come on strong, totaling 16 points to lead the Wisconsin defensive corps in scoring. Klubertanz has tallied at least one point in all but three of the Badgers’ weekend series. Stepping in and playing from day one has paid major dividends individually.

“He’s been put in situations that a lot of freshmen aren’t put in,” UW associate head coach Troy Ward said. “For example, two years from now when he’s a junior and some of his teammates are juniors, maybe the incoming freshmen won’t have the luxury to play in as many situations as he’s been.”

For Klubertanz, playing at Wisconsin has been a dream come true. After growing up in nearby Sun Prairie and spending two years of junior hockey in the state, the chance to skate for his hometown team was too good to pass up.

“The fans are amazing, the Kohl Center is amazing, the coaches are amazing,” Klubertanz said. “It’s a top-level program. You can’t ask for much more than what we get. For me, there was no other place. This was the place to go.”

UW assistant coach Mark Osiecki’s presence has greatly aided the young blue-liner’s transition to college hockey. Osiecki joined Eaves’ staff in the offseason after spending seven years as the head coach and general manager of the USHL’s Green Bay Gamblers, the team Klubertanz played for prior to Wisconsin.

“It was good right away to see a familiar face,” Klubertanz said of playing under Osiecki once again. “Playing for him for two years, it was good because we built up a trust. He had confidence in me, playing for him for two years. It’s just good, to have him talk to the coaches. It’s just been fun having him around.”

After beginning the season with Klubertanz playing opposite Likens, the UW coaching staff made the decision to split up the two offensive-minded players. Klubertanz has spent most of the season alongside assistant captain Tom Gilbert, but he still mans the point on the power play with Likens.

“I’ll play wherever,” Klubertanz said. “Both guys, Jeff (Likens) and Tom (Gilbert), have been great. I guess they’re both offensive, but I think [Gilbert] is more defensive-minded than [Likens], and I’m not the greatest defensive player. But, it’s been good, I like playing with both.”

The greatest challenge for Klubertanz in his debut season has been improving his defense. Known for his offense, the freshman admits defense is not his strong suit. He has worked hard with the UW coaching staff to learn discipline on the blue line. Ward says his pupil’s improvement on defense has been the most dramatic aspect of his development as a player.

“It’s a fairly easy thing to do is to teach a guy how to play defensively,” Ward said. “But ultimately, [Klubertanz] still has to do it; and he’s been able to do that.”

Klubertanz’s biggest strength is his rare offensive talent for a defenseman. That talent has shown on the power play, where the freshman has scored both of his goals on the season. Proof of Klubertanz’s offensive-mindedness is the name he gives for his favorite player — Dallas Stars forward Mike Modano.

“[Offensive ability is] invaluable, and that’s one of the reasons why, not only is he from Sun Prairie and from the area, but we’ve coveted a player like his abilities because he has the ability to do things you can’t teach,” Ward said of Klubertanz’s offensive skills. “We can’t teach that to certain other defensemen, but he has that innate ability. That’s why he was drafted where he was drafted, and that’s why he has his abilities. He has some innate abilities offensively.”

Although Klubertanz knows Wisconsin has plenty of work ahead if it hopes to accomplish the team’s ultimate goal, the freshman is pleased with the opening chapter of his collegiate career.

“Right now I can’t complain,” Klubertanz said. “It’s just been great just getting in there and playing. It’s a dream come true.”