Carpenter’s enthusiasm key for UW

Every team needs someone like Elizabeth Carpenter — someone who is not always the most talented athlete, but finds a way to make an impact; a person for teammates to look up to and model themselves after; a cheerful face to keep the team upbeat.

Carpenter hasn’t always been a crucial point contributor for the UW women’s swimming team, but has played a key role in her team’s success without fail. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., came to Wisconsin to learn and improve and has turned herself into a consistent asset for the Badgers.

“I chose Wisconsin because I really liked the team and coaches,” she said. “When I first met the coaches, I was very impressed. They were young, talented and seemed really motivated to learn and to teach us what they have learned. I was also really impressed with the team and I felt like I could easily fit in.”

Carpenter immediately clicked with her teammates, but it took her longer than most to learn just how competitive college swimming can be. In her first year as a Badger, Carpenter trained with the short distance spirit group. She changed her stroke and gave it her best, but saw no improvement.

“[My first year] was really hard on me personally,” she said. “I think everyone wants to come to college and immediately drop a lot of time. I had been in a rut where I had not dropped a lot of time in high school, so it was even more frustrating to come to a new place and still not get better.”
Frustration aside, Carpenter did not let a lack of a best time ruin her freshman year. She may have shed a tear, but quickly wiped it off to cheer for her teammates. One thing she did learn from her freshman year was that it does not take a best time to be positive.

“I learned to be more positive and that your teammates come first,” she said. “I think having patience and waiting was probably better than anything and it paid off more for me now because it now means more when I get a best time.”
After a summer of hard work and dedication and a change to the mid-distance training group, Carpenter began to notice some improvement.

“I didn’t get a chance to train with her our freshman year,” teammate Amalia Sarnecki said. “Emily is probably one of the hardest workers in the pool and she didn’t have the immediate success that she hoped; but throughout the year she continued to make huge strides in competition and training.”

At the Texas Invitational during her sophomore year, Carpenter finally learned how to compete. She dropped an unbelievable three seconds her in favorite event, the 200 freestyle. She also stirred a buzz in the Big Ten in her new event, the 500 freestyle, with a personal best of 4:55.

“The change in groups helped me mentally,” she said. “I have a lot more confidence in my swimming and I’m not scared to go out fast.”

The success did not stop there. Carpenter dropped a few more tenths at the 2003 Big Ten Championships, but fell shy of scoring. Like always, she remained positive and cheered her teammates on to their highest NCAA finish in school history.

Carpenter’s positive attitude and conduct were recognized by the athletic department when they awarded her the Sportsmanship award in swimming for the 2003 season.

This year, Carpenter continues to show grace, courtesy and a positive spirit on deck. She is now considered a team leader. Many younger swimmers seek her advice and she always obliges.

“A lot of younger swimmers look up to her,” Sarnecki said. “They know that she hasn’t had quite the seasons she has wanted over the years, but has still stuck with it and continued to train hard. They respect the fact that she gets in everyday and tries her hardest regardless of how fast she is swimming.”

The role of team leader is one that Carpenter says she has taken to heart.
“I try to show support for everyone, especially this year,” Carpenter said. “I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the freshmen and it’s so nice when they come to you with a variety of questions. I can relate to about everything they have been through, so it’s awesome to give them advice and help them out.”

Her positive attitude and leadership qualities have also helped her in the water. Carpenter now swims with confidence and is not afraid to attack.

At the first meet of this season, Emily won her first dual meet title in the 500 free. She continued to propel and just recently finished the Texas Invitational with best times in her three best events — the 100, 200 and 500 freestyles.

“The biggest change this year is that I am even more confident in my swimming,” she said. “I’m not scared to be aggressive at the beginning of my races. As I gain more confidence I’m learning how to swim the races more efficiently; it has helped me improve my times.”

At the rate she is gaining confidence and improving, this might be the first year Carpenter will be able to score at Big Tens and possibly advance her talents to NCAAs.

“I just want to forget … about my past Big Ten meets,” Carpenter said. “I want to focus on what I have accomplished this year and try to go with that and carry that momentum into Big Tens. I think — with added confidence and doing better this season — (it) will help me achieve my goals.”

Whether she finals at Big Tens or once again falls shy, Carpenter’s presence will be known and appreciated by her teammates, who rely on her for hope, courage and support.