Tucker, Chambliss prove injuries are behind them

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]tuckeralando_dm_400[/media-credit]The Badgers’ dramatic win over No. 12 Maryland Tuesday night showcased a pair of standout performers who have elevated their game despite nagging injuries. Alando Tucker, who was held out of practices before the Santa Barbara game in order to rest his body as he continues to battle through a series of foot injuries, exploded for a game-high 27 points, and Sharif Chambliss posted 15 points off the bench while playing through the lingering effects of a knee injury.

“I’m getting back to being comfortable out there on the court,” Tucker said. “Every game, every practice, I’m getting stronger and stronger mentally and physically. I’m able to hold up, and I feel like I’m getting back to my normal self.”

In the first half, Tucker played like a man possessed. The high-flying forward scored 16 of the Badgers’ first 20 points. The junior was in double figures with more than 10 minutes to play in the half and had posted 15 points by the 9:15 mark. Tucker single-handedly kept the Badgers in the game for a four-minute, 41-second stretch starting at the 13:05 mark, during which he scored nine consecutive Wisconsin points.

“I thought he was the key because he got them whatever confidence they needed,” Maryland head coach Gary Williams said of Tucker. “He allowed them to get off to a pretty good start and carried them the rest of the game.”

Tucker was unstoppable in the opening stanza, putting up 20 points by halftime. The forward did much of his damage from the charity stripe, knocking down 10 of 13 free throws in the first half.

“He’s really quick,” Coach Williams said of Tucker. “I thought at times we had some pretty good defensive players on him, but he still got where he could get fouled and he did a heck of a job.”

Throughout the first half, Tucker was simply too quick, too athletic and too strong for the Maryland defense to handle.

“He’s the strongest player in college basketball, pound for pound,” Chambliss said of Tucker.

After Tucker cooled off in the second half, Chambliss stole the show down the stretch. After Maryland cut the lead to two points on a dunk from Ekene Ibekwe, Chambliss knocked down a clutch 3-pointer to give the Badgers a 62-57 lead with 1:28 remaining.

Chambliss also came through with the biggest defensive play of the game, stripping the ball from Nik Caner-Medley with four seconds on the clock to prevent the Maryland sniper from attempting a potential game-tying jumper with the Badgers leading by three points. Not bad for a guy operating at what head coach Bo Ryan estimated was 85 percent of his optimal health due to a nagging knee injury.

“I know my knee’s not 100 percent right now,” Chambliss said. “I’m still in rehab, still in the process. It’s a long process and obviously it’s going to take time, but I felt pretty good out there tonight.”

Chambliss came up big in the clutch, putting up six points in the final seven minutes of play to help secure the victory. The guard made the most of his opportunity to play a major role off the bench.

“He relished it, cherished it, absorbed it, performed it,” Ryan said. “Without what he did, the outcome wouldn’t have been the same.”

With the performance of Chambliss off the bench, Kammron Taylor’s hold on the starting job at point guard becomes far less secure. While Taylor struggled, failing to score or notch an assist and turning the ball over twice in 12 minutes of action, Chambliss provided a major lift at the end of the second half and led the Badgers down the stretch.

Chambliss earned 26 minutes of action and posted three steals and three assists in addition to his 15 points in his strongest performance of the young season.

“Sharif came in and gave us some great minutes when Kam was struggling,” Tucker said.