Turnovers predicate UW’s blowout loss

IOWA CITY, Iowa — A quick glance at the scoreboard after Wisconsin’s 30-7 loss to Iowa Saturday may invoke memories of last week’s 49-14 debacle against Michigan State, in which the Badgers’ heralded defense surrendered 551 yards of total offense and gave up nearly five times its season average in points allowed.

However, looks can be deceiving. Saturday’s loss resembled the previous week’s defeat on the scoreboard alone. This week’s debacle was the result of a far different series of failures than those that plagued the Badgers in East Lansing.

That loss was the result of a defensive let-down of epic proportions, as the nation’s leading defense allowed a trio of unassuming tailbacks and a back-up quarterback to run up the score with 430 yards on the ground as three Spartans finished with more than 10 yards per carry and two posted rushing averages over 15 yards per carry. In that loss the Wisconsin run defense, which played a major part in the Badgers’ 9-0 start, looked like a JV team with an injured middle linebacker.

This week, the culprit was turnovers. Including three turnovers on downs, the Badgers turned the ball over seven times on the day. Even with the top defense in the conference, a team can’t expect to win a game with seven turnovers.

Wisconsin’s last six possessions ended in turnovers, removing any hope of a comeback. Each of the final six miscues gave Iowa possession inside Wisconsin territory, with four resulting in the Hawkeyes taking over inside the UW 35-yard line.

Saturday’s loss was not a defensive let down. Aside from Tate’s 51-yard touchdown pass at the end of the first half, every Iowa score but one came directly after a Wisconsin turnover. That one came after a missed field goal.

The Badgers’ run defense was on top of its game Saturday, allowing just 76 rushing yards on the day. No Hawkeye had more than 42 yards on the ground.

The passing defense was not the problem either. Though Iowa quarterback Drew Tate posted 186 yards and three touchdowns (two of which came off UW turnovers), Tate also threw three interceptions.

Playing in the final regular season game of his collegiate career, safety Jim Leonhard had two interceptions in the first five minutes of play. Both picks gave the offense a shot inside the Iowa 35, but the Anthony Davis-less Badgers failed to score both times.

This one cannot be pinned on the defense. This loss was the result of an offense that couldn’t move or hold onto the ball on a consistent basis. This loss stems from 186 yards of total offense, seven points scored, and seven turnovers.

Though he has not deserved much of the criticism he has received this season, embattled quarterback John Stocco will shoulder the majority of the blame for this loss. Stocco personally turned the ball over four times, with two interceptions and two fumbles. The sophomore signal-caller managed just 145 yards, completing 18-38 passes, and accounted for zero points on the day.

“I think he got real rattled, probably for the first time all year,” offensive coordinator Brian White said.

While much of the credit for Stocco’s sub-par performance goes to the Iowa defense, which won a decisive victory in what many considered a battle between the Big Ten’s top defensive fronts. The Hawkeye’s had continuous pressure on Stocco, registering four sacks and three hurries and forcing the sophomore out of the pocket numerous times. Some of the credit also goes to the imposing environment presented by a raucous crowd of 70,397 at Kinnick Stadium.

However, Stocco has faced tough defenses in difficult environments before. The sophomore led his team to victory on the road against Ohio State and Purdue earlier in the season. This time, he simply wasn’t up to the challenge.

“You got to give them credit and take your hats off to them; they have a very good defense,” Stocco said. “But the turnovers were just bad mistakes.”

All season long, the offense has struggled to move the ball with Davis on the sidelines. But before Saturday’s loss, the Badgers had managed to take care of the ball even in defeat. Wisconsin turned the ball over just once against Michigan State, a fumble from back-up quarterback Tyler Donovan after the outcome had long been decided. In Iowa City, turnovers were the Badgers’ demise for the first time, and turnovers are now the reason that Wisconsin will not finish its season in Pasadena.