UW set for 1st-ever game with UND

[media-credit name=’AJ Maclean’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WomensHockey_AM_400[/media-credit]The Badger women’s hockey team heads to Grand Forks, N.D. this weekend to take on the Fighting Sioux in a weekend conference series. Having never met in competition to this point, each team is a mystery to the other. The University of North Dakota is only in its third full season as a Division I program and is in its first as a member of the WCHA.

“They’re great for our league,” head coach Mark Johnson said. “It’s a good addition to have them in [the WCHA]. The men’s program has been around a long time and they have a great tradition with that. As time goes on here, North Dakota’s women’s program will be very solid also.”

The Badgers will benefit from the addition of senior forward Amy Vermeulen — a first-team all-Big Ten performer for the Wisconsin soccer team. A forward and a midfielder, Vermeulen notched a game-winning goal in overtime against Dayton in the first round of the NCAA tournament last Friday, only to see UW eliminated two days later by Notre Dame.
Back with the hockey team, Vermeulen brings with her depth and experience at forward. Last season, she played in 31 of the Badgers’ 34 games and scored 12 points on six goals and six assists.

“It’s a little bit of a tough transition just because mentally and physically [hockey] is demanding in a different way,” Vermeulen said of the two-sport swap. “I think I’m more used to it than I have been the last couple of years. Freshman year it was definitely hard because I didn’t know how to adjust that well, but I’ve been playing soccer and hockey all my life so I’ve been used to going back and forth.”

Vermeulen’s transition to hockey should be eased by the prospect of playing the worst defensive team in the WCHA this weekend. The Fighting Sioux haven’t put up much of a fight so far this season, giving up an average of 5.08 goals per game. Meanwhile, the Badgers have riddled the back of opponents’ nets this season — scoring an average of 5.20 goals per game.

The Badgers could run into a brick wall, however, named Margaret-Ann Hinkley. UND’s junior goaltender and the reigning WCHA Defensive Player of the Week, Hinkley stopped 36 of 38 University of Connecticut shots last Friday en route to a 2-2 tie. She saved 18 of 19 during the Huskies’ power plays.

The Badgers have had trouble scoring on quality netminders this season, as evidenced by their lack of offensive output at Ohio State and Minnesota-Duluth; Hinkley could be the wrench that the Fighting Sioux need to stay in this series. Of course, all bets on Hinkley are hedged by the fact that in her start immediately prior to UConn, she gave up four goals against Minnesota-Duluth in less than two periods of play.

“The X-factor in our game is the goaltender, and if she’s playing well, it makes it a little more challenging,” Johnson said.

It will take more than a feisty goaltender to ward off the Badger attack, though. Wisconsin keeps chugging along on offense, with 52 goals and counting on the season. Second in the WCHA to Minnesota on offense, the Badgers boast three top-10 scorers in forwards Sara Bauer and Lindsay Macy and in defender Molly Engstrom. The Badgers continue to dominate possession of the puck and fire shot after shot at opposing goalies. Wisconsin has out-shot its opponents in every single game this season.

“Offensively, you’ve got to get the puck in the net, you’ve got to get people crashing the net and you have to create your scoring opportunities,” Johnson said.

The Badgers will have even more opportunities for shots this weekend if the Sioux continues to play undisciplined hockey. UND has logged the second most penalty minutes in the WCHA this season and has its second worst penalty kill. On the other end of the spectrum, the Badger power play has produced 18 goals in 60 opportunities — nearly one goal every three advantages.

The Badgers will look to improve their 1-3 road record and they will have to do it at intimidating Ralph Engelstad Arena.