Badgers ready for conference battle with Spartans

Dowdell_400After a convincing home victory over Minnesota last week, No. 4 Wisconsin (9-0, 6-0) launches the final leg of its 2004 campaign on the road against Michigan State (3-3, 4-5). With a win over the Spartans, the Badgers could go 10-0 for the first time in the history of the program and take another big stride in further establishing themselves among the NCAA elite.

For Michigan State head coach John L. Smith and his Spartans, the game provides a final opportunity to create chaos in the Big Ten standings after allowing Michigan to narrowly escape defeat two weeks ago in the Big House. Last week, Michigan State dropped another to Ohio State.

To keep their bowl hopes alive, the Spartans will need to run the table — which will require composing an upset over the heavily favored Badgers.

“To play their archrival and lose in triple overtime and then to turn around in the Ohio State game and be down by 14 points, they had all the reasons in the book to fold in, but they didn’t,” Wisconsin defensive coordinator Bret Bielema said. “We really do believe that they’re a very well-coached football team and they’re going to do everything they can to win this game on Saturday.”

Though its recent record doesn’t show it, Michigan State has acquired some momentum since losing three of its first five. The loss of quarterback Drew Stanton (who will likely sit out Saturday) to a separated shoulder hampered much of the inertia the Spartans built up following a convincing win over the Fighting Illini, a rout of the Golden Gophers and the subsequent near-upset of Michigan.

Stepping in for Stanton, Damon Dowdell fired 29 of 46 against the Buckeyes for 262 yards and a touchdown, though his three interceptions put the Spartans in a hole too deep to climb out of. While the Badgers will look to exploit any misguided passes Dowdell heaves up, the Wisconsin coaches aren’t overlooking the young quarterback’s ability to rally the Spartan offense.

“I really think that his game confidence grew in that Ohio State game,” Bielema said. “He gained more and more confidence, which allowed him to get more and more successful as the game wore on.”

“I think he’s a very gifted athlete,” head coach Barry Alvarez said. “You know, he’s the kind of quarterback that I personally like, a strong arm, fast, he can hurt you a lot of different ways.”

For the first time since the first snaps at Ohio State, coaches say the Wisconsin defense should be functioning at full health. Though defensive ends Erasmus James and Jonathan Welsh both took the field against Minnesota, Wisconsin’s dominating early lead allowed defensive line coach John Palermo to rest the pair.

With James in particular — who only saw five snaps against the Gophers, yet made his presence felt on every one — Wisconsin is relishing the healthy return of one of the best defensive linemen in the country. Alvarez compared James’ defensive contributions to that of legendary Illinois end Simeon Rice.

“To say he’s as dominating as Simeon Rice is an injustice to ‘Raz,” Alvarez commented Monday.

Middle linebacker Reggie Cribbs is also expected to see increased playing time after splitting snaps with freshman Andy Crooks last week.

On the offensive side, the Badgers hope for quarterback John Stocco to continue his ongoing improvement after a career game at home. Stocco completed 19 of 26 pass attempts for 297 yards and a touchdown while connecting with nine different receivers.

Behind Stocco, the Badger offensive machine seemed to be firing on all cylinders for the first time all season, compiling 525 yards against the beleaguered Minnesota defense.

“He takes control of the offense,” fullback Matt Bernstein said. “He’s the youngest guy but everyone looks up to him and respects him and he does a great job. We don’t need a star game; we just need a good, fundamental game.”

With No. 9 Michigan still riding their coattails in the conference standings, the pressure rests on Stocco and the Badger offense to compliment the dominating Wisconsin defensive garrison and close out a critical road victory at Spartan Stadium.

“I think the kids have been strong and persevered through a lot on the road,” Bielema said. “I think they’re well tested and nothing’s really going to make them flinch.”

Currently No. 1 USC, No. 2 Oklahoma, No. 3 Auburn and No. 5 California lead Wisconsin in the BCS standings. A convincing win would go a long way in advancing the Badgers’ tournament hopes in the turbulent final weeks of the season.

“We need to be physical,” Bernstein said. “You know, we just can’t take anyone for granted. Michigan State is a great team and we need to come out ready to play.”