Wisconsin eyes perfect season at home

[media-credit name=’Jim Mone/Associated Press’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Maroney_400[/media-credit]Fresh off the bye week, No. 4 Wisconsin (8-0, 5-0) hosts rival Minnesota (6-3, 3-3) Saturday for the final home game of the Badgers' 2004 campaign. The game marks the 114th meeting of the two programs, as the undefeated Badgers look to maintain their position atop the Big Ten standings and take back Paul Bunyan's axe, snatched away by the Golden Gophers in Minneapolis last November.

For the 24 UW seniors, it will be the final opportunity to reclaim bragging rights in this historic border battle.

"It's a perfect scenario," wide out Brandon Williams said. "Last home game, last chance to get the axe for the seniors. I think it's going to all come out to be beautiful."

Since starting the season unbeaten through the first five weeks of the season, Minnesota has dropped its last three road games against Michigan, Michigan State and Indiana. Now the Gophers look to get back in the bowl hunt by toppling Wisconsin on its home turf.

Headlining the Golden Gopher attack is a talented backfield featuring sophomore Laurence Maroney and junior Marion Barber III. Together the pair account for a great deal of the team's offensive productivity, posting a combined 1,911 rushing yards on the season with 18 touchdowns.

"I think they both do have a little bit different running style but they both can do the same thing on any given play," defensive coordinator Bret Bielema said. "Everybody makes a big deal about what are their differences — I think it's more of what their similarities are. They both have the ability to take it to the house on any given play and they do like to convert the ball up inside."

Propelled by the backfield explosiveness of Maroney and Barber III, the Gopher offense leads the Big Ten in offensive scoring at 33.3 points per game. Minnesota also boasts 40 touchdowns on the year, eight more than both Kyle Orton's Boilermaker attack and the Wolverine offensive machine driven by freshman phenoms Michael Hart and Chad Henne.

To notch a much-needed win at Camp Randall, the Gophers will need to overcome one of the most formidable defenses in the nation. Through eight games, the Badgers have surrendered a meager average of 236.4 yards per game and still lead the country in points allowed at 8.5 per game, despite losing three defensive starters to injury over the past three weeks.

With the Badger defense back at full strength — depending on the return of Reggie Cribbs to the middle linebacker slot — the unit will look to not only disarm the Gopher ground assault, but also apply pressure to young quarterback Bryan Cupito. Though the defense welcomes back the contribution of standout ends Erasmus James and Jonathan Welsh on the pass rush, the veterans aren't making light of Minnesota's aerial capabilities.

"With their passing game, they're going to be pretty efficient when they do it, simply because they don't do it as much," senior safety Jim Leonhard said. "These are the guys we're up against, they've got some great receivers and some great talent. It's just that they don't have the opportunities; they're not going to throw it 50 times like Purdue."

Through the air, Minnesota averages 196.6 yards per game; an impressive figure considering the Gophers had only attempted 105 passes through nine showings. Redshirt freshman Ernest Wheelwright leads Minnesota's young and talented receiving corps.

Much like Wisconsin slinger John Stocco, Cupito tends to evenly distribute looks among his many targets. Unlike Stocco, this week Cupito and the Minnesota passing game will need to produce against the top-rated pass rush and pass coverage unit in the conference.

"Whether we played good at times or bad at times, we've gotten that win," Leonhard said. "We feel that, for the most part, we've played well. We've limited the big plays where as [Northwestern and Purdue] are known for the big plays."

After an ineffectual start, the Badger passing game has picked up as of late. While still not posting numbers on par with most teams in the Big Ten, Stocco and his receivers have succeeded in making plays when necessity arises. Against Northwestern two weeks ago, Stocco threw for 178 yards and two touchdowns, a small dip in productivity from the previous week but enough to notch a comfortable win at home.

Now Stocco faces another shoddy pass defense, looking to build on recent success with another steady effort.

"I think we're getting a lot more relaxed as an offense, taking a lot more chances," Williams said. "[Stocco]'s giving us more chances to make plays and, I think, he's doing a great job."

Williams and towering wide out Darrin Charles also stepped up last week, tallying 154 receiving yards on the afternoon.

"All I can say is we're just getting consistent at playing hard every week," Williams said. "We're not worried about where the ball's going or who it's going to, just worrying about making the plays when it does come to you."

With both sides hungry to capture a win Saturday, the matchup promises all the energy consistent with this rivalry. For Leonhard and many other seniors playing their final game in the confines of Camp Randall, the occasion holds special significance.

"For all the seniors on this team, to get a win on senior day and get the axe, it's going to be huge for us," Leonhard said. "We're really focused on this game, we've had two weeks to prepare and I think guys are going to be real emotional and real excited about this game."