Badgers set for Big Ten tournament

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team (15-4-1, 5-4-1) heads to Columbus, Ohio, tonight for the 2004 Big Ten Tournament.

The No. 6-seeded Badgers will take on the No. 3-seeded Michigan Wolverines (10-7-2, 6-3-1) in a first-round match that kicks off at 7:30 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Field.

Last year, the Wolverines ended the Badgers’ Big Ten tournament run in the semi-final round. The Badgers have not forgotten.

“[The girls] know that we would like to get the record straight on that, jump ahead of [Michigan],” head coach Dean Duerst said. “They know how important these games are, [the] ability to get to a championship game. They remember what happened last year in the Big Ten Tournament semi-final. It was a really good game, but it is our chance to knock them out now.”

The Badgers have great confidence in facing Michigan, which they defeated just two weeks ago 3-1.

“We should be confident going into Michigan,” Duerst said. “We know it is going to be a very tough game. [We’re] just excited to be there. All the other games will have been played. Ours is the last game. You get a little anxious waiting around I think, but we’re used to playing night games like that.”

In their last meeting with the Wolverines, the Badgers were able to neutralize Michigan’s top offensive players, strikers Therese Heaton and Melissa Dobbyn, and effectively shut down the Wolverine offense.

“Their two key forwards didn’t really get free that much,” Duerst said. “I thought that was one of the key factors in the game — keeping Therese Heaton and Melissa Dobbyn away from goal as best as possible and not letting them get free. Once or twice they got free and it was a little dangerous. The biggest adjustment is to again keep the ball away from them. Our midfield did a very good job of that.”

Wisconsin was one of only three teams on the season to score more than two goals against Michigan sophomore goaltender Megan Tuura. The Badgers will look to replicate that performance tonight, utilizing the seams they discovered in their last meeting to create quality scoring chances.

“[We need to] keep finding our forwards — pressure them in their defensive end,” Duerst said. “We have to repeat our game plan from last time. I know we can do that.”

Besides having beaten Michigan recently, Wisconsin has been rolling in all phases of their game during their current seven-match win streak.

“I think the biggest thing is that we are getting production, we’re scoring goals, and a lot of players are helping in that category,” Duerst said. “I think it is important to finish your season with confidence and playing strong — playing your best soccer towards the end of the season. That is where I think we are at right now. Everybody is healthy and ready to go.”

If the Badgers defeat the Wolverines and advance to the second round, they will likely take on the host Buckeyes, who have a date with No. 7-seeded Purdue in the first round. Wisconsin and Ohio State played to a 1-1 tie on the first weekend of Big Ten play.

The Badgers will not have to play No. 1 seed Penn State until the championship match.

“[Not having to play Penn State early] is great,” Duerst said. “[Penn State] has got to be the team to beat in the tournament. We’re in a position to meet them in the final, which is where you want to play them. We just need to put two good games back together and then see what happens. I think the focus — our guys know — is just to take care of business.”