Now the real races begin

Well, the election is over. The day that many have called the most important in recent political history has come and gone. As the presidential race reaches its climax, pundits and lawyers around the country will now begin the epic debate over the legitimacy of the election results.

In the meantime, the rest of us can finally stop watching the digital representation of our nation’s states gradually filled with blue or red shading and turn our attention to the races that are brewing in the world of college football. Therefore, in the spirit of non-partisan sports coverage, here are my endorsements for college football’s highest honors.

Heisman Trophy:
Matt Leinart, USC

With Kyle Orton in the midst of a dismal three-game losing streak and Jason White finding himself overshadowed by a freshman tailback, this race falls to the Trojan gunslinger.

Though the aforementioned Adrian Peterson has the entire nation jumping on his bandwagon, the freshman phenom has found the end zone just eight times this season and posted only two multi-touchdown games. To put this in perspective, UW tailback Anthony Davis has trotted to pay dirt as many times as Peterson in three fewer games. While Peterson’s 1,272 yards and 6.1 yards per carry are phenomenal numbers, this AD will not receive my Heisman endorsement unless he puts up a few more points. And though no one seems to realize it, Texas tailback Cedric Benson leads Peterson in yards (1,297) and touchdowns (12) this season.

Somehow operating under the radar as Peterson soaks up the Sooner spotlight, White makes a compelling case. The incumbent currently holds a higher quarterback rating (158.9, .1 higher than in 2003) and completion percentage (63.7 percent, 2.1 percent higher than in 2003) than the marks that earned him a Heisman trophy last season.

The Sooners’ signal-caller has thrown 20 touchdowns and just four interceptions this season. Over his last three games, White has tossed 11 touchdowns and just one pick while averaging 288.67 yards per game.

However, the Oklahoma standout has not proven himself against the level of competition that Leinart has faced. White has not taken on a top-five defense this season, while Leinart has taken on two in California and Virginia Tech, ranked No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, in scoring defense.

White has not faced a top-10 passing defense all year, while Leinart dropped 272 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions on the No. 6-ranked pass defense in the nation, Virginia Tech, who has surrendered an average of just 155.13 passing yards per game this season.

Leinart and White have posted nearly identical numbers on the year, as the USC signal-caller has recorded 1,863 yards, 18 passing touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns and just four interceptions this season for a quarterback rating of 151.0. However, Leinart has reached those totals against more imposing competition, giving him the nod over the incumbent.

In addition, Leinart’s Trojans lead White’s Sooners in both polls and the BCS rankings. Leinart also has the added charm of leading the team that missed out on last year’s national title game despite winning the popular vote (No. 1 ranking in both polls) a la Al Gore in the 2000 election. Therefore, my endorsement goes to the Trojans’ Matt Leinart.

Nagurski Award: Erasmus James, Wisconsin

The nation’s top-ranked defense is built around a dominant front four, and that front four is fueled by Erasmus James. After suffering an injury that could have ended his career last season, James has returned in spectacular fashion. No defensive player has emerged as a more intimidating force than ‘Raz this season.

The senior defensive end has wreaked havoc in the backfield, recording seven sacks, six hurries and 10.5 tackles for loss in seven games. While terrorizing opposing quarterbacks, James has forced two fumbles and picked up a fumble recovery on the year.

Using a unique combination of speed and strength, ‘Raz has been virtually unstoppable in the pass rush. In addition to his impressive sack total, James has drawn numerous holding calls on opposing linemen who simply cannot seem to contain the explosive playmaker legally.

The Badgers’ impressive pass defense, which currently ranks No. 4 in the nation, begins with James, whose unrelenting pressure takes the opposing quarterback out of his comfort zone, forcing him to rush his throws. With James on the sidelines, Wisconsin allowed 185 passing yards against Northwestern, 37.8 yards more than the Badgers’ season average. Wisconsin just isn’t the same team without James on the field. Therefore, my endorsement goes to the central cog in the No. 1 defense in the nation, Erasmus James.

Coach of the Year: Bret Bielema, Wisconsin

He may not be a head coach, but no one on the sidelines has had a more positive effect on his program than UW defensive coordinator Bret Bielema. In his first season with the Badgers, Bielema has turned the Wisconsin defensive corps into the nation’s top defense.

With Bielema calling the plays, Wisconsin ranks first in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 8.5 points per game. The Badgers have not surrendered more than 17 points in any game this season.

In addition to keeping teams out of the end zone, Bielema’s unit ranks second in the nation in total defense, giving up just 236.38 yards per game.

Under Bielema’s tutelage, the Badgers’ oft-maligned secondary has reached its potential, climbing to No. 4 in the nation in pass defense (147.2 passing yards per game).

The Badgers have not only shut teams down, but also emerged as a playmaking unit with two safeties, two blocked kicks and two defensive touchdowns on the year. Fueled by a formidable defensive line, the Badgers have recorded 27 sacks (3.375) and forced nine fumbles in eight games this season. It may be unconventional, but my endorsement goes to the top coordinator in college football, Wisconsin’s Bret Bielema.