Doesn’t get any better

When certain members of the Wisconsin football team marched out and laid a jig on that hallowed vowel adorning the turf at Ohio Stadium, a chorus of boos began echoing loudly from around the Horseshoe.

Moments later, Badgers and Buckeyes locked horns as the recently defeated Buckeyes scrambled to defend their iconic pride.

And rightfully so. It appeared nothing less than a classless act on Wisconsin’s behalf.

Yet in that moment, with an overcast sky looming above an emaciated crowd — earlier 105,000 strong — and the Buckeyes’ vaunted 18-game home winning streak laying lifeless before the Wisconsin sideline, I think we can grant them reprieve.

For who ever heard a fiddle so grand?

To Big Ten outsiders, it seems difficult to explain the significance of this game. Perhaps above the importance of conference standings, the history behind this series lies strongly on OSU’s side. The Buckeyes claimed victory in 50 of 71 showdowns heading into Saturday, and after 91 years, Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State University in back-to-back games on only three occasions.

As the 5-0 Badgers traveled to Columbus for the 72nd meeting of crimson and cardinal, a demure confidence settled over the state of Wisconsin. On one hand, UW seemed the better squad with a more dynamic running game and a statistically superior defense. Ohio State looked ineffectual the week before, dropping a close game to the Evanston Alleycats.

Though the stagnant Wisconsin offense matched poorly against a Buckeye garrison led by patrolling linebacker A.J. Hawk, the Wisconsin defense had embarrassed better air and ground attacks in weeks past.

Nevertheless, it’s still Ohio State at home.

Ingrained in every Wisconsinite is a defense mechanism designed for such situations. Not pessimism, but a retracted resoluteness only alcohol can reveal — supplemented by an acute paranoia that disaster waits around every corner. A condition I call the Brewer Effect.

Perhaps then when Ken DeBauche hit a line drive punt in the first quarter and the fleet-footed Fred Ginn Jr. returned it for six, many Wisconsinites made an internal concession: “Maybe this is how it should be,” while simultaneously, Buckeye fans stood absolute, “Now this is how it should be.”

If there’s one truth that rings true in the Big Ten this year, nothing is ever as it should be.

Even the most steadfast of Wisconsin backers couldn’t have predicted everything to come together for the Badgers after that moment. Another dominating defensive performance should have come as no surprise. Zwick still reeks of impetuous youth, the offensive line trotted out seriously overmatched by Wisconsin’s front four, and the Buckeye running game lacked any luster whatsoever.

But could that have been the same offense that’s plagued the Badgers’ scoreboard all year? The same offense that almost succumbed to a rebuilding PAC-10 program? The same offense that relied on a fullback to propel the squad over Penn State? The same offense that couldn’t establish a passing game against the worst defense in the conference?

Even after surrendering 33 points to Northwestern, there appeared little reason to doubt the Ohio State defense. Heading into that game, the Buckeyes allowed just 133.7 passing yards per game, and after all, when Brett Basanez shows up, the Wildcat attack can prove quite the conundrum.

That same week, Anthony Davis ran wild against Illinois, accumulating 213 yards and three touchdowns with little difficulty. This showdown, however, wouldn’t take place in the friendly confines of Camp Randall, and this wasn’t the Fighting Illini. Personally, I move to have that adjective stricken from the team handle in favor of something more fitting, perhaps the Placid Illini, or maybe the Pastoral Illini if the former seems a bit cruel.

Anyway, for quarterback John Stocco finally to prove his mettle, Anthony Davis to press a very solid OSU run defense for 168 yards and the UW receivers to at last reveal their true ability all at once seemed Saturday morning an almost inconceivable series of events.

But it happened.

At last, coming off the complete and utter domination by the Badgers over their perennial better, Wisconsinites can finally kick back and enjoy the sweet smell of triumph. During the Alvarez era, UW has more frequently found itself on par with the Buckeyes, yet each of those occurrences lacked the aura of Saturday.

In 1993, Alvarez’s first Rose Bowl campaign, a hard-fought November game between the two Big Ten contenders resulted in a disappointing tie. Five years later, both teams battled for the conference title again, yet did not play each other. In 1999, the Badgers looked to the matchup for redemption after dropping two straight to unranked Cincinnati and No. 4 Michigan. Wisconsin came in and snatched the game decisively only to realize this wasn’t the OSU team that won the Sugar Bowl 10 months earlier.

Wisconsin went on to a conference title, and Ohio State finished eighth. Over-ranked again, so much for the afterglow.

Upsets took place in 2001 and 2003. The Badgers defeated a No. 21 Ohio State squad in Columbus and a No. 3 squad in Madison, respectively, and both in dramatic fashion. Nevertheless, an upset is still an upset. Both performances proved glorious for the Wisconsin faithful, yet neither made evident the superiority of Alvarez’s crew.

Regardless, the game Saturday was the real deal. The Buckeyes look lowly right now, but they’ll bounce back. Depleted by the exodus of 14 players to the NFL in the last draft, even an inexperienced Ohio State remains a force in the Big Ten — maybe not for a Rose Bowl berth, but their future is promising and their talent palpable. Bottom line, these aren’t the Bucks of '99.

But really this means more for the fans than the athletes. After all, there are few species of fan more loathsome than a Bucknut. While Wisconsinites appreciate just about any bowl berth, in Columbus they scoff at anything but a Big Ten title. They dismiss petty rivals like Wisconsin or Purdue (anyone but Michigan really) and swarm like illiterate hate junkies to anyone who speaks ill of their golden calf.

In many ways, Wisconsin won one for all the Midwest. Ohio State, once again, entered the season grossly overrated — a reoccurring slap in the face to the true Big Ten contenders. Therefore, the real victory wasn’t at the Horseshoe, but took place in taverns and living rooms from Pennsylvania to Iowa.

When the Wisconsin Badgers embarrassed the Ohio State Buckeyes at home, everyone imagined that complacent smile melt off every Bucknut face. They reveled in the moment as ABC cameras panned over the grandstand, displaying the rapid ebb of OSU faithful.

For the moment, the bandwagon is totaled. Enjoy it; these things are few and far between. And never forget Oct. 9, 2004, a day when The Ohio State University became just another Ohio … state university.