Wisconsin spots glory on the horizon

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]defense1_dm_400[/media-credit]COLUMBUS, Ohio — As a rule, the Badgers are pretty tight-lipped in their locker room following a game about anything not having to do with that game.

The mantra all year for questions involving the season as a whole or next week's opponents has been (in Bret Bielema's words, though they've been mimicked by the lips of many), "We're just glad we went 1-0 this week. Tomorrow we'll start worrying about going 1-0 next week."

But, with a victory over one of the nation's premier teams, the Badgers are now more than halfway through their 2004 schedule without a defeat. And that fact doesn't seem to have escaped anyone.

"It's on now," UW wide-out Brandon Williams said after the game. "I saw that Michigan won, and Purdue. We've got Purdue next week. It's too bad we don't get Michigan; we could knock them off too."

The game against Purdue figures to be one of this season's most built-up matchups, pitting the Big Ten's only two remaining undefeated teams against each other.

"[Ohio State] was a huge win for us," head coach Barry Alvarez said. "We're 3-0 in the league right now and Purdue is a top-flight team, so that makes it a big game as far as I'm concerned."

Defensive coordinator Bret Bielema said that he didn't think the hype and the excitement of the possibilities will distract the veteran squad.

"I don't think there's going to be any waver in our kids," Bielema said. "I think they're very focused on the task at hand."

Williams, at least, says lack of focus isn't what he's most worried about.

"We've got to score a lot more points," he said. "Let's be real: our defense is good, but their offense is good too. They will score."

"If you don't win, you lose," Williams added. "So you have to win."

Leonhard writes name into record books: It didn't take Jim Leonhard long to break the Big Ten mark for all-time punt return yardage.

With less than two minutes expired on the game clock, the senior star made a tackle to help force a Buckeye three-and-out and returned the resulting punt 11 yards. The return stenciled Leonhard's name into conference record books with 1,178 yards (Bruce Branch previously held the record with 1,171 yards).

"It means a lot," Leonhard said of his accomplishment, with a quick smile. "It's a great record."

But the UW safety was just as quick to share the honor with his teammates.

"Like I've always said, just to share this with these guys in this room and everyone that's been on the punt return unit with me is a great feeling."

No such thing as a halfway Crooks: Reggie Cribbs — the Badgers' second leading tackler coming into the game against Ohio State — left the field in the second quarter and returned after halftime with a foot brace. His injury, which seems to not be one that will linger, could have meant trouble for the Badgers if Andy Crooks hadn't been ready to step in.

"[Crooks] is a guy that's impressed us from day one," Bielema said after the game. "He's really got a good feel for the game — understands football. He's very smart, very conscientious."

Crooks only made one tackle in the contest, but his play impressed the coaching staff enough that Bielema said he will see an increased number of reps in practice this week.

"Everything that he's done to put himself in the position to get where he is right now — it's because he does things right all the time," Bielema explained. "He's got open ears and big eyes, he wants to come in, wants to learn, wants to listen."

"I think regardless of what the situation is this week between him and Reggie, they've been manning that spot [well]."