Wisconsin falls to Minnesota, takes down Iowa

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (9-4-1, 3-4-1) came into the weekend on a two-game win streak with the bottom-dwellers of the conference coming into town.

However, the Badgers' streak came to an end when the squad fell to Minnesota (4-8-1, 1-6-0) by a 2-1 margin Friday. The team did manage to finish the weekend on a high note, downing Iowa (0-10-2, 0-6-1) 2-0 Sunday.

In Friday's loss to Minnesota, the Badgers dominated in nearly every statistical category except for the one that matters most — goals.

"We just couldn't finish," head coach Dean Duerst said. "The bottom line is putting the chances on goal. We just kept missing the frame and you can't do that. It is not about opportunities. It is about how to win a game. They had a couple moments and that was it."

The Gophers came out and played very aggressive soccer in search of their first Big Ten win of the season.

"[Minnesota] wanted to attack and attack fast, and they had their backs up against the wall a little bit," Duerst said.

In the end, it just came down to the Gophers converting on a couple of chances and the Badgers being unable to finish on their chances.

"You have to credit Minnesota; they found a way [to win]," Duerst said. "It was kind of a mystery game, night, eerie night — 'Freaky Friday.' We should have won and that is what is disappointing."

With the loss to the Gophers, Sunday's game against the winless Hawkeyes became a must-win for the Badgers. However, Wisconsin came out flat and played uninspired soccer in the first half.

"I let them have it a little bit at halftime and I challenged them," Duerst said. "Our staff said it is about heart. We said it is about wanting to be where goals are at the beginning of the year. You have to go to the Big Ten tournament. You are a team capable of beating anyone in this conference. What are you made of?"

The ladies came out in the second half and struck early with a goal coming in the first five minutes. Junior Katy Lindenmuth intercepted an errant clear and sent the ball home to give the Badgers a lead.

"It was important for us to get an early goal, kind of set the tone for the second half," Lindenmuth said.

The Badgers continued to build on their momentum, as junior Jessica Ring was able to knock in her first goal of the season off a corner kick from Amy Vermeulen, closing the door on the Hawkeyes around the 60-minute mark.

"It feels great," Ring said. "You always stand on that back post every corner, so it was great to hit it in."

After a lackadaisical effort in the first half, the Badgers were able to focus and slam the door on the Hawkeyes in the second half for the victory.

"It was a game of two halves," Duerst said. "Our team just stepped it up in the second half and displayed what we are capable of. We really closed them down in the second half. Our backs were what they needed to be — just a little bit tighter."