Stocco comes alive

COLUMBUS, Ohio — In the first real test of the conference schedule, the oft-maligned UW passing game emerged when the Badgers needed it most. After Ohio State held tailback Anthony Davis to five yards on seven carries in the first quarter, it was clear that Wisconsin would have to go to the air.

"[John Stocco] was put in a position by their defense that he had to make some plays for us to move the chains," head coach Barry Alvarez said. "I can't say that he's done that every week. He did it against what I think is a very good football team and a very good defense. I classify it as his best performance."

Realizing that Davis would not be able to control the game as he did against Illinois, quarterback John Stocco and the Wisconsin passing game awoke from a year-long slumber. After a dismal performance against the Illini, in which Stocco completed just nine of 20 passes for 99 yards and no wide-out recorded more than seven yards receiving, the Badgers' aerial attack came through with a breakout performance Saturday.

Stocco threw for 160 yards and two touchdowns, Darrin Charles hauled in a touchdown catch on his trademark fade in the corner of the end zone, Jonathan Orr laid out for a phenomenal touchdown grab, and three wide receivers picked up 10 or more yards. Charles led the receiving corps with just 30 yards, but Stocco found tight end Owen Daniels four times over the middle for 72 yards.

"We knew it was just a matter of time," Orr said. "Throughout the season, we've been called to really focus on the running game. That had been the thing that was really winning it for us. We knew it was just a matter of time before our passing game was going to start making plays."

Stocco turned in his strongest performance of the season in the most difficult scenario of his young career. Facing an imposing Ohio State defense, which ranks second in the conference against the pass (167.8 yards per game), Stocco led his team back from a 10-0 deficit before a hostile crowd of 105,090 at the Horseshoe in Columbus.

"It's huge for anybody, whether it be John [Stocco] or any quarterback, particularly a first-year quarterback, to play on the road in really a difficult environment and to play with such composure and really not just play an error-free game, but make throws and plays that determine the outcome of the game," offensive coordinator Brian White said. "That's what happened today."

After Davis cut the lead to seven with a 31-yard touchdown run, Stocco put the Badgers on top with an eight-yard touchdown pass to Charles. After a seven-play, 78-yard drive that included a 31-yard pass to Daniels, Stocco threw a jump ball to the corner of the end zone and the 6-foot-6 wide-out came down with it.

"I just know Darrin's going to make a play," Stocco said. "We work on that in practice; just throw it up there and let him go get it."

Stocco picked up his second touchdown of the day on a 10-yard strike to Jonathan Orr, who laid out for a diving catch in the end zone to give the Badgers a commanding 24-13 lead in the fourth quarter.

"Jonathan Orr's catch was just ridiculous," White said. "That's what this game is all about. To beat a team like Ohio State, you have to have guys make those sorts of plays to win, and we did."

Stocco showed tremendous poise in the pocket, standing in against a brutal Ohio State blitz to deliver the ball to the end zone and allow Orr to make the play.

"We don't have enough guys to block all the people that they're coming with, so you have to have a quarterback that understands that and understands that he has to get rid of the ball," White said. "He's going to get whacked, and you have to anticipate that throw. He put it up there and Jonathan (Orr) wasn't even close to out of his break, and he located the ball and made just a phenomenal catch."

While Davis finished with 168 yards on 39 carries, 78 of those yards came in the fourth quarter with the Badgers looking to run out the clock. Davis certainly had a tremendous game, but he did not control play the way he did against Illinois. Without a strong performance from the passing game, Wisconsin would not have come away with the win.

"[Ohio State] did require John (Stocco) to make some plays, and he answered that call," White said.

Stocco stepped up when his team needed a lift, and in the process the young quarterback silenced his many critics. With the UW passing attack falling to last in the Big Ten, averaging 41.1 yards per game less than the nearest competitor, Stocco has drawn the ire of fans and writers alike, who have filled the chat rooms and newspapers with calls for Donovan and Randle El, with some even suggesting that the Badgers turn to an option offense.

"I don't read any of that crap," Stocco said. "Whatever they say, that's fine. The only opinions that matter to me are the guys in the locker room after the game."

After Saturday's game, the voices in the locker room had nothing but praise for the embattled quarterback.

"[Stocco] came out and played hard and played smart," wide receiver Brandon Williams said. "He did what he had to do. He really grew up today."