Wisconsin secondary dominating competition

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]secondary_bs_400[/media-credit]It’s been a rough early going for quarterbacks coming in against Wisconsin in 2004. Though the Badger passing game continues to struggle, the numbers from the other side appear even more austere. Through five games, opposing quarterbacks have hit receivers on just 63 of 137 attempts, thrown three picks to just two touchdowns and accumulated a paltry 633 passing yards on the year.

All told, the numbers amount to a defensive pass efficiency rating of 85.2, a figure that tops the Big Ten by over 10 points. The emergence of secondary coach Ron Lee’s unit has played a crucial role in the success of a Badger squad that now boasts of the nation’s top-performing defense in both scoring (5.2) and yards per game (193.2).

“We have so many guys with a lot of experience now,” senior free safety Jim Leonhard said. “We’ve been through all these big games — you don’t see as many guys on those emotional highs and low; everything’s pretty consistent right now and that’s the main reason for our success.”

For the triumphant Wisconsin defensive backfield, the next three weeks present a daunting challenge as they line up against some of the conference’s top receivers in Ohio State’s Santonio Holmes, Purdue’s Taylor Stubblefield and Northwestern’s Mark Philmore. The three so far post a combined average of 7.3 receptions per game for 110.1 yards.

Though the stakes are raised and the competition stiff, the Wisconsin backs still like their odds.

“It’s going to be a huge challenge for us,” Leonhard said. “That’s why we came [to Wisconsin], to play the best and we’re definitely going to see that in the next three or four weeks. Obviously we’re going to have some changeups to try to slow some of those guys down but we’re going to go into games with our base stuff and make them force us out of that first.”

“We’re always looking forward to new opportunities [to prove ourselves],” senior cornerback Scott Starks said. “We’ve been able to dominate so far; we just want to continue to get better.”

The All-American Leonhard and veteran Starks lead the early defensive productivity against the pass with six and five breakups respectively. Leonhard tops the Wisconsin secondary with 23 tackles (16 solo) and Starks proved his mettle early in the season after failing to meet the expectations of many in 2003.

In past years, Starks’ height, or lack thereof, drew criticism as taller receivers often registered critical grabs over their shorter defender. The scrappy corner broke out of the gate more aggressive in 2004, striving to prove he could not only keep up, but also go up with the most dangerous of college receivers.

With several dominant, passing games taking the field against Wisconsin in the not-so-distant future, including Kyle Orton and Boilermaker juggernaut, the pressure falls on Starks and starting boundary cornerback Brett Bell to keep the Badgers afloat.

“We just go in with the same mindset every game: just go out there and dominate the person in front of you, regardless of who it is,” Starks said.

Starks twice shared honors with left end Erasmus James for Wisconsin’s defensive player of the week. Heading into the prime weeks of conference play, coaches have confidence Starks will continue to rise to the challenge.

“It’s all about attitude,” Lee said. “You just gotta go out there and challenge the person who’s running.”

Since stepping into the starting role at Wisconsin, Leonhard has amassed 19 interceptions, the most over the past two seasons heading into 2004.

“All the great players have an instinct, a great awareness of what’s around them and what’s going on,” Lee said. “A lot of people don’t have that awareness, that playmaking ability. As soon as that ball leaves the quarterback’s hand, he’s on it. He’s like a centerfielder out there.”

Against Penn State, Leonhard snatched another pick, returning the ball 25 yards on the play. He now requires just three more interceptions to pass up Thorpe Award winner Jamar Fletcher for the school career record, though Leonhard asserts the mark isn’t in his field of vision right now.

“We have so many things as a team right now [to worry about],” Leonhard said. Individual stuff will come — you can’t worry about that as a player. If the defense keeps playing well, those things will happen.”

After sitting the first two weeks due to injury, strong safety Robert Brooks returned against Arizona to make an immediate impact. After just three games, Brooks racked up 15 tackles and forced two fumbles, including one strip off Penn State tailback Tony Hunt that helped open up an early lead for the Badgers.

“It means a lot to me (to have Brooks back),” Leonhard said. “We’ve been playing together since I’ve been here. I feel real comfortable in knowing where he’s going to be and he feels the same with me.”

Bell also returned this year after an injury-riddled campaign in 2003. The junior posted a career game, registering seven tackles in the season opener before going down with a shoulder injury slightly later in the season. So far Bell hasn’t skipped a beat, racking up 19 tackles (16 solo), four breakups and an interception.

“I think he’s just starting where he left off last year,” Starks said. “He started off real fast, had a solid first three games, and [now] he’s just continuing from there. He’s making a lot of plays and some big hits.”

According to Lee, having the two active in the defensive backfield makes all the difference in sealing up pass routes.

“It means a lot for our [level of] maturity and the experience in the game (having Brooks and Bell healthy),” Lee said. “That means a lot in terms of continuity and what’s going on in the field.”

While a corps of talented freshman look to step into the backfield in the years to come, sophomores Roderick Rogers and Johnny White, along with junior Levonne Rowan, represent the immediate future for the Wisconsin secondary.

The three continue to prove themselves capable covering routes and making plays, both in supplementary situations and stepping in for injured veterans. According to Lee, one of the greatest benefits of having an experience backfield lies in what they pass on to the younger players.

“They’re learning and getting experience from these older guys,” Lee said. “They learn how to work and what it means to be a unit. When their turn comes, they gotta teach the next group. It’s a revolving door; each group wants to be the best group. I think that’s positive.”