UW Women’s soccer team set for Big Ten

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team has gotten off to a great start this season. The squad finished the preliminary portion of its non-conference schedule with a perfect 6-0 record and head coach Dean Duerst thinks the team is ready for the Big Ten. Duerst remains assured in his team’s chances heading into a rigorous conference schedule.

“We’re confident in how we are playing as a team and we know we have some areas that we need to keep improving on. The biggest thing is [we have] great leadership, some great plays by young players, old players and we’re scoring goals, which is always difficult. As you go into the Big Ten, each game is very competitive and exciting.”

The Badgers face a challenging task this weekend with a pair of difficult games on the docket. Friday under the lights, Wisconsin is set to host the Nittany Lions of Penn State, who enter the match as the No. 5-ranked team in the country.

The Badgers faced a similar situation hosting the Big Ten Tournament last season, but UW was able to knock off the heavily favored, top-seeded Nittany Lions with penalty kicks in an otherwise scoreless game. According to Duerst, the Penn State victory helped the Badgers realize their own potential, no matter the opponent.

“I think [that win] helps just in terms of your players knowing that they can play with a Penn State, they can play with any team in the country. You need that kind of confidence going into the big games,” said Duerst. “We’ve had some big games this season, so that has helped prepare us for Penn State. Our players will know what to expect.”

Following Penn State, the action does not get much easier for the women. The No. 22-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes will be in town for a Sunday afternoon joust. There is no doubt the Badgers will have something left for the Buckeyes, as the rivalry between the two has raged for several seasons.

This weekend could very well give fans a clearer picture of how the Big Ten race will shape up. A win or two this weekend and the Badgers will be on track for a much better record than last year.

From the impressive start, it appears this is not the same team that finished with a sub .500 conference record in 2003. Duerst added a few key freshman contributors and the squad welcomed back junior Amy Vermeulen after the forward red-shirted in 2003. Vermeulen has been the catalyst so far for the Badger’s dynamic offensive output. The junior has already racked up eight goals and 19 points in the first six contests. The team will continue to look to her to propel them through the upcoming conference schedule. Duerst thinks she will be able to rise to meet her role.

“[Amy] has got to keep stepping it up. Her success is [due to] her getting good balls, she has found openings, she just takes chances well, and she is getting fed well. Forwards need that good diet of balls into place so that they can then take on their [scoring] responsibility. She has really shown others on the team [to] just shoot, just get balls in the net and good things will happen. The thing is people will not be overlooking Amy, they will be spending some time on her and that is where we will need other to step up.”

After this weekend it will be much easier to see where the No. 16-ranked Badgers are at in this early juncture of the season.