Badgers winning field position battle

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]LeohnardJim_DM_400[/media-credit]In the Badgers’ success so far this season, one aspect of Wisconsin’s game has emerged as especially notable.

The defense, initially a source of doubt considering the turnover at several positions, has risen to display effectiveness in shutting down offenses and creating big plays. Wisconsin surrendered a meager 9 points against UCF and UNLV, yielded just 404 yards of total offense and kept both the Rebels and the Knights out of the end zone.

Yet, the effort and resulting success have not been single-handed. It has often been said that defense begins with field position and — in that capacity — the squad has enjoyed a consistent upper hand.

Last weekend against UNLV, the special teams managed to shine in open daylight. Remarkable field position created two scoring opportunities for safeties, both of which were converted thanks to the Badger pass rush and a Rebel long-snapping bungle.

Taylor Mehlhaff continued to stir old memories of John Hall, sending the ball through the end zone on virtually every kick.

Finally, the unit’s field leader Jim Leonhard earned Big Ten Special Teams player of the Week honors after returning a blocked kick 86 yards for a score and breaking Nick Davis’ record for career punt-return yardage. With the conference record just 142 yards away, the old mark should fall within the next couple of games.

Disregarding the stigma of injuring key starters in a unit of the team often considered supplementary by other programs, head coach Barry Alvarez and his staff look first to which players can best serve the team in the field-control game.

Impact defensive players such as Leonhard, weak-side linebacker Dontez Sanders, middle linebacker Reggie Cribbs, defensive back Scott Starks and wide receiver Brandon Williams all have seen action already this season on special teams.

“I feel we put a lot of emphasis on special teams,” Leonhard said. “We know how much it means to games to have momentum and field position throughout the game. We have the right plan by having the right guys out there; we have a lot of starters and I feel like those are the guys who are going to give us the big chances.”

However, a persistent concern for many coaches and fans remains in placing defensive stars in more jeopardy than could perceivably be required. The philosophy around the Wisconsin clubhouse is that a successful team cannot afford to marginalize special teams.

“There’s never been any concern,” Leonhard said. “Every year that we’ve had a good season, a Rose Bowl season, the special teams have been dominant. So we need the right guys on special teams to have that success.”

The greater emphasis on special teams, coupled with the speed of the coverage teams, has paid off for the Badgers against UNLV. Wisconsin consistently pinned the Rebels deep on kickoffs and the athleticism stacked up against the UNLV field-goal unit resulted in a Reggie Cribbs block and the subsequent Leonhard touchdown. All around, the Badgers appear to be faster and attacking with greater tenacity than last season.

“They’ve emphasized getting down the field with speed,” Leonhard said “There’s a lot of speed among every one else down there, not just the gunners. And then they’re emphasizing making big plays — everyone is going to have an opportunity during the game and we’re having a lot of fun doing it.”

In addition to the improved speed on return coverage, the Badgers added two key assets during the offseason in punter Ken DeBauche and kicker Taylor Mehlhaff.

Mehlhaff graduated from Aberdeen Central High School in South Dakota the No. 1 rated kicking prospect in the nation. After arduous deliberation choosing between schools the likes of Iowa, Ohio State and Nebraska, the kicker opted for Wisconsin. Alvarez secured his most highly touted prospect at the most unusual of positions.

“When I visited I just loved the atmosphere, I loved Camp Randall and saw the renovation of it,” Mehlhaff said. “I got a great feeling when I was here. The way it fell through, this is what I chose and I like my decision.”

In high school, Mehlhaff reportedly landed 90 percent of his kickoffs for touch back and thumped one into the end zone from his own 20-yard line. As soon as the kicker arrived in Madison, buzz began to circulate about the Badgers’ new special-teams weapon.

“The first kick of the season I was nervous. I put the ball on the tee and my hands were shaking, but after that, I’ve been fine,” Mehlhaff said.

Mehlhaff responded to the pressure to the tune of nine kickoffs for 574 yards, a thundering average of 63.8 yards per kick. Five of those went for touchback and the remaining four came back for an average of just 17.2 yards.

“Right now, my expectations are high,” Mehlhaff said. “I want to put the ball deep in the end zone every time and I every once in a while mis-hit, luckily they’ve turned out with good hang time.”

One of the less impressive aspects of the special teams has come at the foot of starting place kicker Mike Allen. Allen has begun the season just two of five, including one shank from just 23 yards out.

Allen’s sputtering start has bred speculation that Mehlhaff may get the opportunity to kick field goals this year. However, Alvarez is sticking with the veteran and Mehlhaff isn’t surprised.

“I’m working on it as hard as I can, trying to compete with Allen and he’s just a better field-goal kicker than me right now,” Mehlhaff said. “I think just kicking off, getting in there and seeing what it’s like and then maybe next year I’ll be ready to kick [field goals].”

DeBauche joined the active roster after redshirting his freshman year. He stepped up during an offseason injury to starting punter R.J. Morse, eventually alternating snaps with the incumbent during spring camps.

“I knew it was going to be a competition all the way through,” DeBauche said. “I think the competition between me, R.J. and Paul Standring has really boosted all of our games; we’re all better punters because of it.”

When the season opener came around, DeBauche got the starting nod and responded, sending eight punts 330 yards for an average of 41.2 yards in Wisconsin’s first two games. Four of those landed inside the 20-yard line and one set up a quarterback sack for safety against UNLV.

“It’s awesome,” DeBauche said regarding his experience Saturday. “A lot of times when you’re a kicker or a punter, you kinda feel like you’re on the outside looking in, a little different from the rest of the team. But when the ball gets down to the one and you know that you’ve contributed to helping the team score, helping the team get good field position, it’s a really good feeling.”

With a solid grip on starting punter spot, DeBauche turns to new challenges. Despite the limitations of his position, he hopes for the opportunity to make a game-breaking play somewhere down the road.

“Sitting in class or something, I’ll think, ‘What happens if this guy breaks through the line and I have to make a play?’ That’s something I think about all the time.”