Badgers to compete in Nike Tiger Invitational

WSoccerBS_fullComing off two solid road victories over Ohio and Kentucky Aug. 27 and 29, the women’s soccer team looks to continue its early success against a pair of Big 12 opponents. The team is slated to challenge Missouri and Baylor at the Nike Tiger Invitational this weekend in Columbia, Mo.

Wisconsin faces off against Missouri Sept. 3 for the first showdown between the two teams. Mizzou hosts the round robin tournament after their opening weekend brought a loss to No. 14 Illinois and a win over perennial Big Ten cellar-dweller Northwestern.

With the Badgers’ midfield looking as capable in the season openers as it proved during the 2003 season, the situation at forward also appears promising heading into a match-up against a versatile backfield.

The Tigers’ defense features veterans Ashley Gibbs and Karen Bauer, supplemented by the promising defensive midfielder Elyse Nikonchuk. The trio holds all three of Mizzou’s assists so far this season, with Bauer registering the game-winning goal against the Wildcats.

Junior striker Amy Vermeulen racked up two goals against Ohio, displaying a return to form after sitting out 2003 as a medical redshirt. Vermeulen accumulated seven goals and eight assists in 2002.

Coaches now expect a repeat performance to replace departed striker Jenny Kundert, who led the team in scoring last year. Vermeulen joins 2003 points leader Katy Lindenmuth up front against the capable Mizzou backfield.

Sophomore midfielder Kara Kabellis looks to extend her torrent start to the fall campaign. Kabellis heads into the tournament with three goals already this season.

Junior Jennifer Nobis leads Mizzou with two goals thus far. She squares up along with junior Amber Sweinhart against the Badger defense, led by defensive midfielder and team captain Molly Meuer.

Keeper Lynn Murray will start once again in the net for the Badgers. The freshman prospect shut out Ohio in the season opener and then surrendered one goal to Kentucky.

After Mizzou, Wisconsin faces Baylor in a morning game Sept. 5. The Bears got off to a disastrous start after Notre Dame outshot Baylor 32-9 in a 7-2 rout. Following another dismal offensive performance against Rice Aug. 31, the Bears will be looking to challenge the Wisconsin backfield.

Going into their third appearance, however, the forwards remain scoreless. Junior defender Brittani Zonker and freshman midfielder Margaret Kaderli scored the only two goals late in the game against Notre Dame.

Wisconsin will look to exploit inexperience in the Baylor backfield the same way Notre Dame strikers Katie Thorlakson and Amanda Cinalli did Aug. 27. Freshman defenders Pat Roscovius, Megan Sherrell and keeper Ashley Holder form a very green defensive group.

Although Mizzou presents a challenge for the Wisconsin front, if the offense can prove effective against the seasoned defenders, it should be a high-scoring affair against the troubled Bears.

Iowa also travels to Columbia to represent the Big Ten, although the Hawkeyes will not face Wisconsin.