Harris makes the right call

All season long, point guard Devin Harris made all the right decisions for the Wisconsin basketball team. When the time came to make the biggest decision of his young career, the result was no different. After weeks upon weeks of pondering, conferring and ignoring endless media speculation, the Badger superstar made the only logical choice: to declare for the NBA draft without hiring an agent.

As much as Wisconsin fans would like to have seen Harris prolong his date with the league for another year, to completely ignore the possibility of turning pro would be foolish. Exploring the possibilities of the NBA is in his best interest. Pundits may claim the decision is putting himself above the team, but that is anything but the case.

“He is not selfish,” Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said. “That’s a feeling he might have of what other people might perceive his inquiring to be. He needs to do that and that’s not a problem with anybody anywhere in this athletic department. This is something that all you out there would love to have the opportunity to do.”

If Harris’ career goal is to play basketball at the highest level — and that appears to be the case, then his mindset should be to place himself in the best position to achieve that goal.

After a stellar junior campaign, the wiry point guard’s NBA stock could not be higher. He not only improved from one season to the next; he got better as the 2003-04 campaign wore on. A jump shot that was once streaky became automatic, and Harris demonstrated an NBA-ready ability to take control of games.

By initially declaring for the draft, he has kept all his options open. If through the Chicago pre-draft camp or personal workouts Harris determines he will not be selected where he wants, he can withdraw his name, return to Wisconsin and take his best shot at the Final Four and the Naismith Award. If reviews prove to his liking, then he can depart for bigger and better things feeling proud of his accomplishments at Wisconsin, while joining the ranks of the world’s elite.

Wednesday’s announcement gave Harris a chance to gather more information and bought him some much-needed time.

“He has worked extremely hard to be in this position, and part of our society says that this can happen and when it does happen, any animosity by the coach, the fans, the school … that’s wrong,” Ryan said. “Coaches leave and go to other programs … and if a player leaves for personal gain … I would say for whatever number of years we have with young men like this, make the best of it.”

Harris has certainly given his best to the University of Wisconsin; the least he can be allowed is an extra month to make the biggest decision of his career.