Donovan fighting for playing time

The departure of senior Jim Sorgi following the 2003 season has opened a compelling position battle at quarterback heading into the 2004 campaign. Though sophomore John Stocco has basically locked up the starting job, three quarterbacks remain in the hunt for playing time, including redshirt freshman Tyler Donovan.

“Off the field, we help each other out. When we’re on the field, it’s competitive,” Donovan said. “I shouldn’t say we’re not friends on the field, but we all know that we’re all playing for that spot and that’s what’s expected.”

Unlike the majority of Division I quarterbacks, Donovan has been in this position before. Playing behind quarterback David Ring, Donovan did not earn the starting job at Arrowhead High School until his junior year.

“Obviously, that goes through your mind,” Donovan said. “It does put it in perspective. Especially now, because guys are 10 times better than they were at that stage. You know, you can look at it as your time will come, or that I can step up and compete.”

Though Donovan had to wait until his junior season to break into Arrowhead’s starting lineup, it did not take long for Wisconsin to recognize his potential. Before he started his first high school game, Donovan was invited to participate in the Badgers’ camp during the summer following his sophomore year.

“They asked me to come up and, you know, things just worked out and they liked what they saw,” Donovan said. “It was a privilege for that to happen to me.”

After a strong showing at the camp, Donovan stepped into the starting role at Arrowhead and quickly emerged from Ring’s shadow. The talented playmaker enjoyed a pair of impressive seasons, and the accolades came pouring in.

As a senior, Donovan was named first-team all-state, all-area and all-conference, and was recognized as the Associated Press State Player of the Year. Following his senior campaign, the promising quarterback was rated the No. 2 prep player in Wisconsin by Rivals.com.

Along with the recognition came scholarship offers from prominent Division I programs, including Nebraska and Iowa, but the Hartland, Wis. native decided to sign on with the Badgers.

“I just knew this was the place for me,” Donovan said. “This program definitely has a lot of history to it, and you like to be a part of that.”

Known for his speed and ability to make plays on the run, the Wisconsin recruit drew comparisons to UW quarterback Brooks Bollinger.

“I think it’s very accurate,” Donovan said of the comparison. “That’s what everyone’s telling me … I definitely looked at film of him. [I would] watch him on Saturdays and I’d watch some of my film after a Friday game and I do feel like I’m similar to him. It’s definitely an honor to be compared to somebody like that, who has done great things for this program.”

After joining the Badgers, Donovan decided to redshirt in 2003 and spent the year on the UW scout team.

“I learned about the speed of the game when I first came in,” Donovan said. “The speed of the game from high school to college is so much different. It helped me a lot, and I think that it shows on the field. It definitely boosted my confidence.”

After developing his talent during his redshirt season, Donovan entered spring workouts determined to compete for playing time. Throughout the spring, he has worked on all aspects of the game, hoping to improve both physically and mentally.

“Things are coming together for me,” Donovan said. “As I get more reps, I get more confident. I’m working a lot with Coach Horton off the field, watching film and that kind of thing, and that’s really helping my game.”

Though he currently trails Stocco on the depth chart, Donovan has made a strong impression on UW quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton during the spring sessions.

“Tyler (Donovan) has got real good athletic ability,” Horton said. “The game’s a little slow; he’s still catching up a little bit to what we’re trying to do offensively … He does have good ability. He can really move around and has a strong enough arm to be really effective. Each day we take some small steps, and we’ve just got to continue to do that with him and help bring him along.”