Badger Defense Strong up Front

Many questions face the Wisconsin defense heading into the spring, but one area Badger faithful do not have to worry about is the defensive line, which is led by returning first team all-Big Ten and All-American hopeful Anttaj Hawthorne. Wisconsin’s talented d-line will anchor the 2004 unit, as the Badger’s defensive system will have a new look this year. Former Kansas State coach Bret Bielema replaces Kevin Cosgrove, who left Wisconsin after 10 seasons to coach at Nebraska, as defensive coordinator.

The line is not without its weaknesses, though as it is thin on overall depth and is still coping with the injury of returning starter Darius Jones, who is expected to miss most of spring practice. However, barring major mid-season injuries, this year’s d-line should match up with the best of the Big Ten. Upon Jones’ returns the unit will have returned all starters from last year’s squad, forming an all-senior front. From left defensive end across the depth chart reads Jones, Hawthorne, Jason Jefferson and Jonathan Welsh.

Left tackle Anttaj Hawthorne is coming off a first team all-Big Ten season and expectations are lofty for the senior. Both the coaching staff and Hawthorne himself will settle for nothing less than an extraordinary season.

“Anttaj has the talent to be the best defensive tackle in the country,” defensive line coach John Palermo said. “He needs to have an All-American year, anything less is unacceptable.”

Hawthorne plays like his motor is stuck in sixth gear and carries himself with a certain confidence that is necessary for playing at the elite level. Asked what his individual goals were for the upcoming season, Hawthorne quickly replied, “I want to be the best player in my position in America, period.”

Combining his work ethic with his tremendous athleticism, Hawthorne should accomplish his lofty but realistic goal and will eventually take his talent to the NFL.

“There is no question that he has the talent to play at that upper level,” Palermo said. “He just needs to play to his potential. His feel for the game is good and he knows what he needs to do.”

Joining Hawthorne on the interior line will be Jason Jefferson, who has started 24 games in his career and had thirty tackles last year. Jefferson is an experienced player who looks ready to take the next step.

“I’ve been working on my game, especially my footwork and quickness,” Jefferson said. “I want to be an all-Big Ten player.”

Right defensive end Jonathan Welsh should improve on what was a respectable 2003 campaign, which included fifty tackles, eleven tackles for a loss and 8 sacks (tied for second on the team).

The other end position is open while Jones looks to return from his injury. According to the training staff, Jones is on schedule and should be ready for the season opener.

“As far as I know, Darius is doing well in rehab,” Palermo said. “Physically I don’t worry about Darius; it’s academically where he needs to take care of things.”

Also figuring to be in the mix is senior defensive end Erasmus James. When his motor is going, James can be an extremely disruptive force making 57 tackles, four sacks and eight tackles for loss. He also had 17 quarterback hurries. He is a big athletic force on the end and is looking forward to playing again.

Until then, sophomore Joe Monty will start in the spring and will look to learn from his experience as a reserve last year.

While this year’s backups are relatively inexperienced, they do have a lot of potential. Look for tackles Justin Ostrowski and former offensive guard Kalvin Barrett, to contribute heavily along with freshman Jamal Cooper, Junior Lyle Maiava and sophomore Mark Gorman.

Red-shirt freshman Ostrowski practices extremely hard and it is physically apparent he wants to get on the field. Though he makes mistakes and receives his fair share of coaching tirades from Palermo, he maintains a consistent effort throughout practice.

“Justin is a freshman and will struggle at times but he is making big strides,” Palermo said. “But every practice he improves 100 percent.”

Ostrowski will also benefit from learning from Hawthorne, who in his younger days learned from a former Badger great and all-American.

“When I first got here I had Wendell (Bryant) to show me things on the field and how to watch film,” said Hawthorne. “I am trying to play that role for Justin. He works hard and wants to play really bad.”

The 2004 starting line is experienced as it can get as all four seniors look to cap off respectable careers at UW. With three having the potential to have All-Big Ten seasons and Hawthorne looking to go down as one of the best d-linemen to wear a Badger uniform, the defense should be exceptional in the trenches as the Bielema era begins.