Lewis impresses at Timing Day

The University of Wisconsin held its annual Pro Timing Day Wednesday for NFL scouts. Twenty-two teams sent representatives to watch Lee Evans, Alex Lewis, Jeff Mack, Jim Sorgi and Ryan Aiello work out. While Evans remains the headline attraction, it was Lewis who stole the show with his raw athleticism.

“My goal was to improve in everything,” Lewis said. “And that’s what I did.”

Measuring in at 5-foot-11 1/4 and a sleek 228 pounds, Lewis put on a speed and quickness exhibition. After beginning the workout with a 40-yard-dash time measured as fast as 4.5 seconds, the Delran, N.J., native wowed scouts and spectators with a 41 and one-half-inch vertical leap.

“I had my mind set on a 4.4 flat,” Lewis said of his 40-yard-dash time, “and I had a 4.5 flat, so I’m not over happy. I’m content with it, but I can always get better.”

Lewis followed up his impressive vertical by recording broad-jump lengths of 10-foot-1 and 10-foot-5. After benching 225 pounds 25 times at the Indianapolis scouting combine, he did not take part in the bench press Wednesday.

Quarterback Jim Sorgi gave scouts a surprise with his athleticism, running the 40 in 4.63 seconds. He also gave many observers a shock by tipping the scales at 208 pounds, which he partially credits to giving up chewing tobacco.

“I think I surprised some people,” Sorgi said. “I think I surprised a lot of people by weighing in at 208, I don’t think anybody thought I could weigh in at 208 today, especially a month ago weighing 196.”

Sorgi was also pleased with his performance in the passing drills, which was aided by the presence of Lee Evans.

“I was really happy with the way I threw the deep ball,” Sorgi said. “I was pretty happy with the way I threw the ball in general.”

Sorgi tallied a vertical of 32 and one-half inches and broad jumps of 9-foot-8 and 10-feet. After not being invited to the Indianapolis combine, Pro Timing Day was especially important to Sorgi’s draft hopes.

Evans took part in three drills: the three-cone and the long and short shuttle runs. He did not run the 40-yard dash after posting times in the 4.3- to 4.39-range in Indianapolis.

Mack did 16 repetitions on the bench press, recorded a 31 and one-half-inch vertical and tallied 9-feet and 9-foot-1 in the broad jump. He measured in at 6-feet even and a chiseled 241 pounds. His 40-yard times were estimated to be in the 4.7s.